Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY elk unit 56

Jchristians

Hello, My father and I are planning a Wyoming elk hunt in unit 56-9 non resident license. I have the under standing that this is a really good type 1 elk hunt, and wondering what its like during the rut and just some advise. My father and I have done some research on this unit and the surrounding units. Any Advice and Knowledge of this unit and the surrounding area is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello, My father and I where drawn for a Wyoming elk unit 56-9 license. We are non residents and Looking for some advise.
Welcome, good luck in 56! Reccomend you bring bear spray, horses and a guide. You will see why you need all 3 when you get there. On a good note some absolute giants in there!

Based on your first ten posts, you might be a younger person not familiar with how information exchange works on these forums. I'm gonna help you out with some etiquette of hunting forums.

- First, introduce yourself, what your hunting experience is and why you joined the forum.

- Then offer something where you might be able to help others in exchange for your upcoming request for information.

- Chime in on the discussions with something more than "wow or "(insert quick response to try get to your 10 posts)." People see through those one or two-word posts and it comes across as disingenuous and superficial.

- Participate in the discussions in a meaningful way so people know you are here to stay.

- After a while, ask your questions in a well-thought out manner that shows you done your research. The question you asked here is not likely to get much in the way of replies, as it doesn't show you have done much research on your own.

- When you do ask questions, offer that people should reply in a Private Message (PM), as many folks don't want to share their hard-earned information on the forum threads.

- The longer you hang out and contribute to the forum, the more comfortable people are with providing advice.

- Don't ghost us after you have received some information. Many people show up and never are heard from again after their first questions.

Hopefully those points help you get some information that helps with your hunt. You have a good tag, but it will require a huge effort to be successful. If this is your first western elk hunt, you have picked a very challenging area and landscapes.

Good luck.

That is what I have heard, Is the unit like completely inaccessible on foot?
No theres a few areas you can get to, look at map you can see them and there are a few places you can get behind a ranch that could be beneficial but its tough, (1 includes crossing a river) May seriously want to consider a guide if your dad aint very mobile, that place can break a person! Some of that high country is amazing and you cant just hike into it very easily plus its griz central, hence why the guide with horses would be beneficial

Based on your first ten posts, you might be a younger person not familiar with how information exchange works on these forums. I'm gonna help you out with some etiquette of hunting forums.

- First, introduce yourself, what your hunting experience is and why you joined the forum.

- Then offer something where you might be able to help others in exchange for your upcoming request for information.

- Chime in on the discussions with something more than "wow or "(insert quick response to try get to your 10 posts)." People see through those one or two-word posts and it comes across as disingenuous and superficial.

- Participate in the discussions in a meaningful way so people know you are here to stay.

- After a while, ask your questions in a well-thought out manner that shows you done your research. The question you asked here is not likely to get much in the way of replies, as it doesn't show you have done much research on your own.

- When you do ask questions, offer that people should reply in a Private Message (PM), as many folks don't want to share their hard-earned information on the forum threads.

- The longer you hang out and contribute to the forum, the more comfortable people are with providing advice.

- Don't ghost us after you have received some information. Many people show up and never are heard from again after their first questions.

Hopefully those points help you get some information that helps with your hunt. You have a good tag, but it will require a huge effort to be successful. If this is your first western elk hunt, you have picked a very challenging area and landscapes.

Good luck.
Can you make this a mandatory read for new accounts?

I feal like we should post the gamecam craigslist picture on all "i drew unit %$ elk tag"questions. Lol. This guys is going to need every ounce of help he can get so i tried to be decent about it, brutal country once you TRY to leave valley floor.

If you run into Seth Ballard on the Elk Fork…. Id sneak into his camp. I hear his wife makes the best dutch oven deserts!!! But be careful if your not a resident…. He will be in the wilderness.

Fin chimes in… kid goes rouge!

If you run into Seth Ballard on the Elk Fork…. Id sneak into his camp. I hear his wife makes the best dutch oven deserts!!! But be careful if your not a resident…. He will be in the wilderness.
well if the rumors are true then the risk is worth it lol!!!

Several of those type 9 tags in 50s-60 are effectively outfitter welfare, not intended for NRs hunting diy. Now that demand is so high people try them partly cause they dont know better and some just to get a tag to hunt on and try. Some pull it off and shot a good bull....

That country is rugged and steep. You will probably run into grizzly bears. Most of it is wilderness. I would recommend going outfitted for a better chance at filling a tag and use of horses to get around.

Lmfao it’s true they imported Canadian wolves the wolves ate everything. Or did you forget your other post. Good luck

Tell ya what.. id be glad to have that tag in my pocket. Lets spice things up. You can go there and have a banger experience.. may get mauled, but can def go deep and kill a pig. I hope you take this tag with stride and Cam Hanes one of those bastards.

Hello, My father and I are planning a Wyoming elk hunt in unit 56-9 non resident license. I have the under standing that this is a really good type 1 elk hunt, and wondering what its like during the rut and just some advise. My father and I have done some research on this unit and the surrounding units. Any Advice and Knowledge of this unit and the surrounding area is very much appreciated.
How'd you make out in 56? Assuming you did make it out...😉

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back