Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WY Elk summary

Irrelevant

I tried to come up with a creative title and I blanked... which is fitting for the trip.

In the thread earlier this spring about goals for the year I said I finally wanted to shoot a big bull (at least I think that's what I said). Well on some good advice from some members on here I spend the last week hunting the east side of the Wyoming Range. While the elk were around, the hunting was much more difficult than I anticipated, a lot more people than I'm used to, the bulls were extra call shy, the timber was very thick in the places they were hanging making stalking very difficult....etc.

But(!) all that being said, I could have easily lived with those hindrances, and could have easily tagged my biggest bull... as pretty much every bull I saw would have been my biggest bull. There is only one additional factor that proved to be insurmountable...

The F-ing WY wind.

That Summab!tch wouldn't stay blowing in same direction for any length of time over the course of 7 days. Unless of course it didn't matter, like when you would glassing, then it was steady as a rock... but as soon as you were on a stalk it would blow at your back.... guaran-freaking-teed. So while I had more opportunities than I've ever had, on bigger bulls than I've ever seen. I will be eating tag soup this year.

Unless I get the urge to drive another 14 hours back for rifle season.

Here's the only pic I took. This was after the 10th "close call".
"71306626_10103359932345700_4829905756184641536_o.jpg

You are not the first to be bitten by the Wy wind. Hope you had a fun hunt.

Uh someone let the Wyoming wind loose cause it was following me around Montana last month like the plague.

Well bummer I'm sure you gave it hell. You better come back, it's fixing to be an early winter this fall.

Last edited:
Just gotta lean into the wind.

Hope you make the rive back. The WY range is a truly special place.

Definitely come back and get one. You know the area and obviously put in the required effort.

I have an extra 13 hours more to drive than the OP.
But if I had an unfilled tag that I could go back on , for elk, I would be driving now.
You should try to make the time to go back.

Beautiful country and must have been great seeing so many animals, despite the frustrations of not being able to put it all together.

Well if it helps you make up your mind. I'm leaving tomorrow to make the 21 hour drive back to Montana to bow hunt for another week. I've only been home a week. Actually only took two days to decide that I've got to go back.😀😀 My beautiful wife thinks I need help. I keep looking for her to hold an intervention and have me committed. If tag is still valid and your not going to be fired if you have a job then I believe a person is nuts for not returning. 😎😎

Paraphrasing Big Fin, it seems you have sorted it out, figured it out, now you just need to make it happen with a return trip. I am hoping you can make it back and make it happen with a huge adventure part II, that might even end with hero shots and multiple fine dinners to follow.

Been back since Friday. One way 11.5 hours. Going back on the 14th. 5th trip since July. Only get so many opportunities and at my age got to make the most of them. No second thoughts about going back. Will be there whatever it takes. Nobee skills but there is hope. 2 close encounters and now hope for another with the rifle. Pack up and head back. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back