Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WTB Bow

mrmedora

Hey HT'ers, I'm looking to make the plunge into the world know as bow hunting. I have two young boys that are really getting into shooting their bows at 4-H, and it's time that old dad gets involved too. They really enjoy shooting prairie dogs and tagging along on pheasant hunts with me, so I'm sure they are going to enjoy stalking mullies in the ND Badlands too. Just hope I can keep up! Anyway, I'm looking for a "starter" bow to get me into the game. I've had my draw length measured at 31" and shot a few different models, but I'm not super concerned about brands at this stage of the game. I'm hoping that the more I shoot and learn to shoot that I'll be able to figure what works and doesn't work for me for future purchases. Needless to say, I'm a novice when it comes to bows. I'm not looking to break the bank on my first purchase, but I also don't want someone's used up, wore out, threadbare POS. With that said, let me know what you've got!

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, I would head to Dickinson and shoot a couple different brands so you know which brand "feels" to best for you. Once you have narrowed it down to a specific brand, then I would check out bisman, archery talk, ebay, or even the Bismarck Scheels for a used model. IMO today's bows are incredible and all of them are able to get the job done. Anything used after 2005 will be more than able to fulfill what you are looking for. Good luck and have fun! Archery is life changing

I have a mission hype dt that I am more than happy with. From the reviews I read it comes out pretty well. Not the fastest bow but I'm not concerned about that. There was a good write up at http://www.ezflipmags.com/Publications/ArrowTrade_Magazine/52/#p=93 that was helpful to me. One thing I like about the bow I shoot is that it is quiet. That seems to be the first comment I get when I shoot with others. I'd agree that it's hard to get a bad bow if you are getting a mid-range bow or better.

I just bought the Bowtech carbon Icon this summer and love it. Like others have said go shoot a few different ones see what you like. Fargo scheels normally has a lot of good used ones. Bisman always has bows for sale, but if you go used id look them over very closely just to be sure nothing is cracked etc. Best of luck! Maybe I will see you out in the badlands!

I have 2 bows I'm planning on selling soon if you are interested. One is a 2011 Hoyt Rampage XT, the other is a 2015 Elite Energy 35. Both are right handed and 60-70lbs draw weight. The Hoyt will fit shooters with 28-30" draw lengths. The Elite will accommodate most any draw length with a module swap. I can sell them as a bare bow or fully loaded with top end accessories, except quiver which is a mid-range quiver. PM me if you are interested and I can send pics and list of accessories.

mrmedora, I recommend you buy a new bow. Nothing against any of the equipment being offered here. But bow technology continues to advance each year. With two young boys, I'd be willing to bet they can inherit anything you get. So I'd get something in the 2015-2017. New bows are lighter and easier to adjust than ever, with vastly superior draw cycles (how easy it is to draw and hold) compared with even 5-10 years ago. Most importantly, you MUST take any used bow in to a trusted bow tech for full safety inspection. If the bow was damaged due to dry firing or cable neglect, you may be facing a costly repair with limited supply of spare parts on an old bow. Furthermore, the bow shop is likely to charge you for a tune up and set up, a free service if you buy the bow from them. That can add a hidden $100+ on to your purchase.

I generally don't like making specific bow recommendations because there are too many variables unique to each persons situation. But my friend who is new to the sport recently bought a brand new Diamond Edge SB for around $400 fully setup with arrows. This bow has binary cams (which are awesome). More importantly it has an adjustable draw weight from 7-70# and length from 15-30". This would allow you to pass this down to your sons (or wife or daughter or friend, anyone really) after you inevitably want an upgrade a few years down the road.

You said you were a 31" which means you are VERY tall. I'm 6'2" and draw 29". So if you really need 31", this bow might not work. The Diamond SB isn't the only super adjustable bow on the market, it's just one of the cheapest and it has a great cam system. Unbelievable value.

So, my advice is unless you get a great deal on a used bow from a trusted source, you're better and safer off new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back