Working on a levergun

The slick stock/fore end are unique and stand out, subtly. But I would want the functionality of checkering on the rifle in the woods. Either way it's a hell of a rifle, there is no wrong answer here.
I do like the slick look, like the more traditional levers. Those old deluxe models just look so good though!
I like checkering to use with wool gloved hands.

Besides, I’d like to see your checkering skills after the rest of the work that you’ve done
I wouldn't claim to be anything more than an amateur when it comes to woodwork. I'll be doing some practice before I go cutting on a stock I have so much time into.
Subtle functional checkering that is useful.
That's what I'm thinking. No fleur-de-lis for this guy!

Aesthetically, checkering won’t improve this rifle to my eyes. I wear wool gloves and use a Boyd’s laminate stock with no checkering on one of my rifles. Those two factors combined make me worry I’ll drop the rifle at some point.

Hell of a thread - your skills are amazing! If you ever get tired of it and decided to part ways with it so you can focus on a new build, I want first dibs on buying it!

Hell of a thread - your skills are amazing! If you ever get tired of it and decided to part ways with it so you can focus on a new build, I want first dibs on buying it!
Thank you! You'll be waiting a while on it, I've committed this to being my new hunting rifle. If I ever draw a centerfire tag that is. As for the new builds..They're still happening. Just recently started a gunsmithing biz.

I like how the smooth dark wood flows into the brushed metal...
Aesthetically, checkering won’t improve this rifle to my eyes. I wear wool gloves and use a Boyd’s laminate stock with no checkering on one of my rifles. Those two factors combined make me worry I’ll drop the rifle at some point.
I decided not to checker.
On the rare occasion I wear gloves, they're either leather or have rubber grippy palms so no worries about slipping.

Thank you! You'll be waiting a while on it, I've committed this to being my new hunting rifle. If I ever draw a centerfire tag that is. As for the new builds..They're still happening. Just recently started a gunsmithing biz.
Keep us informed on the business as you grow it (and what you are offering service wise out of the gate). Your thread speaks to your ability so I think a lot of us would be very interested in your assistance.

As a tool and die guy my self this is awsome.
Sorry if this question has not been been brought up before. Why a .38 caliber?
I have a. Marlin 38-55 which the groove mics @ .3795 most winchesters's measure at .376 or so. It's very hard to find any copper jackted bullets to load in a true .378 bore.
Most all are .375 dia. Not that it's a bad idea wish it would become more popular.

As a tool and die guy my self this is awsome.
Sorry if this question has not been been brought up before. Why a .38 caliber?
I have a. Marlin 38-55 which the groove mics @ .3795 most winchesters's measure at .376 or so. It's very hard to find any copper jackted bullets to load in a true .378 bore.
Most all are .375 dia. Not that it's a bad idea wish it would become more popular.
This is .375. I just kept the nomenclature of the original.

Keep us informed on the business as you grow it (and what you are offering service wise out of the gate). Your thread speaks to your ability so I think a lot of us would be very interested in your assistance.
Thanks. I'm specializing in rifle building and customizing, but I won't turn away handguns or repairs. I'm still working on getting card processing set up.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back