Winters impact on your deer tag applications?

Kiwi

When I sit here in New Zealand looking at places to apply for deer tags I find it difficult to allow for the impact of a 'bad' winter on my possible tag applications. How does it work for others when looking at places to apply? Based on the winter so far will you avoid certain western states (e.g. ID, WY, MT), or areas within a state, or are other factors more important e.g. where you have points?

My understanding is the majority of deaths from winter kill are in March and April. The animals are is worse physical condition by then so cold, wet, windy conditions are deadly. We tend to focus on the sub-zero temperatures with nasty, deep snow that falls in winter and that can kill. The springtime can be deadlier. By later April, many of the draw application deadlines have passed. So, a crapshoot.

I have avoided some areas on my pronghorn applications when get reports was bad that winter and will avoid for another 2 or 3 years. Generally, it is the year after a bad kill of elk or deer that I know to avoid and then will avoid for 4 to 6 years until see a rebound of mature bulls and bucks.

Just like trying to nail down if will be a good year for antler growth on elk and deer. The application deadlines mostly fall before the vegetation has hit peak.

It's just a long day's drive for me to most anywhere in the western US, save for the coast, which is a cheap flight away. I also have never had more than a handful of points to burn on anything. For these reasons, I don't let winter conditions play much role in my season applications; I know some years are just going to be better than others, and hope for the best. Also, it seems like it's usually well into springtime before anybody knows the true extent of the winterkill, so you may hold out on an application fearing the harsh winter, then the herds come out fine.

For a major trip like you're making though, I do see where you may want to factor that into your application strategy. What worries me more than the preceding winters though are the fires that may be burning come fall hunting season. Last year in Wyoming the unit just upwind of us was burning and much of it was closed to access.

My approach is just to apply where I want to hunt and the draw odds are decent and keep my fingers crossed...

Thanks for the replies. I didn't really think about the timing of winters impact. If applying in WY I will look at the winter impact then.

How Mo perished, we do not know
The famous 5 year old mulie doe
Only found some hair and the collar of Mo
Nothing more of Mo was left on the snow
Your guess is as good as mine
Perhaps dead by canine, feline or falling pine
Mo is gone which is the bottom line
So, let's discuss the sh*tshow
When someone mentions the crossbow

Back