Yeti GOBOX Collection

Window cleaner for gun cleaner?!

chevyman181

Hello all, have any of y'all ever heard of using window cleaner to clean your firearms? Had someone recommended it and buy sure about it.

Thanks

I used to use Windex on my muzzleloader back in high school. Then hit it with a really light layer of rim oil. Not sure why. But I guess it worked!

Hello all, have any of y'all ever heard of using window cleaner to clean your firearms? Had someone recommended it and buy sure about it.

Thanks
I suspect it would work, I use it on fishing reels. That is to say it's probably not a good idea. In the cleaning section of your local sun shop you won't find window cleaner I don't think.

Windex with ammonia works awesome for muzzleloader cleaning. Ammonia is basic and chemically reacts with the acids in pyrodex and black powder. I run one wet windex patch and then several dry ones between shots.
Never heard of it being used for smokeless powder, I usually only clean a rifle bore after the season and then use Hoppes for cleaning.

Windex with ammonia works awesome for muzzleloader cleaning. Ammonia is basic and chemically reacts with the acids in pyrodex and black powder. I run one wet windex patch and then several dry ones between shots.
Never heard of it being used for smokeless powder, I usually only clean a rifle bore after the season and then use Hoppes for cleaning.
Stuff works amazing but sometimes hard find Windex with Ammonia. I carry a empty Windicator bottle with it for field clean.

I've only used it on some of my optics.
I use the little individually packaged optics wipes now.

For my modern smokless rifles i use a mix of 75% Hoppes #9 & 25% Kroil.

I've seen guys at matches put 3 or 4 patches in their mouth when they go up to the firing line. They "chew" on them & generally get them good & wet with saliva. Then run them through the bore when done shooting.

When i was big into Civil War re enactments we used just plain white vinegar followed by hot water, then an oiled patch.

For my MLs, thru which I shoot Holy Black, I use windshield washer fluid - the kind with methyl alcohol. Works great. Add a touch of Murphy's Oil Soap, the solution it does a great job of cleanup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back