Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Winchester SPX long beard 12 Gauge questions

RyeGuy74

Hey,

So I know it's an older gun by now but does anyone use the winchester spx long beard 12 gauge as a multi purpose shotgun? Obviously, it's a turkey gun by design and that is what I would mostly using it for. However, when I buy something I like to get as much use of it as possible. My biggest concern is chokes and ammunition. I could, if I wanted to, just shoot any bird with a turkey load out of turkey choke but there would be much left. Can you get different chokes for it other than the two turkey chokes it comes? And how does non-turkey load ammo work well with it? Thanks in advance!

Winchester and aftermarket companies make a variety of chokes in various constrictions that will fit your gun. As far as ammo goes, any 12 gauge ammo will work as long as it’s the correct length, 2 3/4”, 3”, or 3.5”. Just go by what it says on your barrel. Aftermarket barrels are available as well but only use the size shells that your original barrel indicate. For example, if your gun is a 2 3/4 or 3”” chambered gun, you can’t shoot 3.5” loads.

Last edited:
Back