Who hear has killed a bear in CO during a elk/deer rifle season?

We saw a good sized bear during 3rd season last year and could have put a stalk on him had we had a tag. I didn’t buy a tag again this year guaranteeing I’ll see bear again.

Sep. 18th, Didn't kill, but had a bear approach to 35 yds. then offer a broadside, slow walk as it left. No license.

I never di and for a reason. I believe in Colorado the best month to hunt bear is Sept. We have the whole month of Sept to hunt for bear and it's the main bear season. It's a rifle season, so you can use any weapon you want. I use a muzzleloader.

2nd and 3rd rifle for deer/elk are late Oct-early Nov. I feel it's too late to hunt for bear.

I never di and for a reason. I believe in Colorado the best month to hunt bear is Sept. We have the whole month of Sept to hunt for bear and it's the main bear season. It's a rifle season, so you can use any weapon you want. I use a muzzleloader.

2nd and 3rd rifle for deer/elk are late Oct-early Nov. I feel it's too late to hunt for bear.

What about 1st rifle? I have a tag for next week, but I bought it before I looked at harvest numbers lol.

That would be better. You can go ahead and hunt all the deer/elk rifle seasons. I was just saying why I never hunted them. I think Sept is a better month. It's still warm so the bears will be out looking for food to fatten up for winter.

Good luck.

Have shot a number of them the first few days of Sept. The one I shot mid Sept had a noticeably better coat. I'm going to say that an early to mid Oct bear will have a very nice fall coat. For $100 for non-resident, it'd be a no brainer to buy one if hunting 1st rifle.

The problem with the new price is there's less tags for residents who are real bear hunters and not elk and deer hunters who get a bear tag in case they see one.

All the DOW cares about is money. Then they whine that not enough bears are being killed.

The problem with the new price is there's less tags for residents who are real bear hunters and not elk and deer hunters who get a bear tag in case they see one.

All the DOW cares about is money. Then they whine that not enough bears are being killed.

There are maybe 10 guys in all of Colorado who specifically target bears since the spring season was nuked...based on my unscientific survey

It is also not CPW's fault not enough bears are killed, it is the fault to the voting public.

Totally agree, I've been whining for years and been writing emails to the comissioners, aside from a few below objective units there should just be one OTC bear tag good Sept 2-Nov 30. $38 Residents and $100 NR, and you should be able to put your deer or elk tag on a bear.

Totally agree, I've been whining for years and been writing emails to the comissioners, aside from a few below objective units there should just be one OTC bear tag good Sept 2-Nov 30. $38 Residents and $100 NR, and you should be able to put your deer or elk tag on a bear.

That would do it. In my units the archery and muzzleloader tags are OTC. I could do the muzzleloader season as a backup but I want to do the rifle season from Sept 2-30 and use the muzzleloader. 9 days for muzzy and all month for rifles. I don't get it? Do they think a muzzleloader is easier?

There are maybe 10 guys in all of Colorado who specifically target bears since the spring season was nuked...based on my unscientific survey

It is also not CPW's fault not enough bears are killed, it is the fault to the voting public.

I happen to be one of the 10 hunters who hunt for bear exclusively. Wouldn't it better to let hunters like me be able to hunt all month instead of a deer or elk hunter who will only kill a bear if they happen to see one while hunting other big game?

It's an easy fix. An OTC tag can be bought for bear season if you don't have another big game tag for the same period. That way the real bear hunters will be guaranteed a tag. No big deal if there's only 10 of us according to you.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back