Caribou Gear Tarp

Which scope?

b0nes

Which one is better for the money, huskemaw or nightforce shv? Nightforce is only a couple hours away so I'm leaning in that direction. Anyone had any experience with either of these?

Nightforce is a tried and true product. I'd buy an SHV in a heart beat - if they had a zero stop.
There is no way I'd have a scope to be used for hunting or LR target practice that did not have the capability of having a zero stop. It is not a matter of if - it's a matter of when it'll happen. Been there done that.

With that said I have one of the original Huskema's when they first hit Cody, Wy.. Still have and still use it. It has never let me down or given me a reason to get something else..

Cowboy is right on the zero-stop, the current SHV line has one with zero-stop, the 5-20. Take a look at the soon to be released new line of SHVs, rumored to be first focal and zero-stop in more models.

Id save my pennies and get an nxs. If money is an issue, might look at a VX6. It's not an NXS but I haven't heard any real problems. Schmalts on here can get you a good price. Might look at the SWFA also. I know nothing of the Huskemaw. My last scope was 1/3 moa however and I prefer the 1/4.

Last edited:
Unless you just want to spend tons of money, look at the SWFA line of scopes. They are super tough and cost way less than the two mentioned.

I am not a long range bomber but I will never own another scope that doesnt have a zero stop.

Team Hoyt, if I was looking to buy right now I'd be all over it. In a few months when I'm ready to buy ill pm you and see if it's still available. Thank you for the offer though. This will be my first true LR rig so my experience with zero stop is limited, although I have an idea what it is. Wapitibob, regrettably money is an issue, I like the nxs but the price would be closer to my rifle/scope combo price. I've been told that the shv glass is comparable to the nxs also. This scope is going on a savage 111 LRH in 300 win mag, I've considered the lapua but just can't justify the cost or power. I will probably never be able to put the range time in to shoot at an animal at 1000 yards. 700-800 possibly. I feel like the lapua is just unnecessary at that range. it sounds like I will be waiting to check out the new shv or contacting team Hoyt about his for sale. Thank you for all the replies everyone. If anyone has any more information or experiences id love to hear them.

Ok I'm not a long range shooter, 400 yards is a long shot for me. So maybe someone can enlighten me as to what a zero stop is and why it is important. Is this something only long range shooters are concerned with?

I believe it is a stop on the elevation turret that doesn't allow you to easily turn the wrong way. And I'm right there with you I'm comfortable in the 400-600 yard range but my furthest comfortable shot has been 355.

If you dial your elevation turret for a long shot, then forget to reset, or if in a pack or gun scabbard the elevation turret gets unknowingly moved, you can easily dial back down to your zero set point (where you have your scope zeroed at). I have had the turret move in both packs and on horses before, very nice to be able to go to your zero stop and know for sure where your p.o.i. is going to be.

Back