Where to try on boots?

R.K.

So after reading through another footwear thread, and seeing the same things over and over and over, coming away no wiser than before, let's ask another question- where should I go to try on boots and get help finding the right fit? I've never had help picking a pair of boots, or anything I would call a "buy it for life" boot.

Thinking I want one boot for all hunting seasons in Montana (first full year in the state), probably a 10". I have a pair of Asolo hikers and knee-length gaiters, but I don't think they're enough for the country out here (ankle support, etc).

I live in Billings, but I'm willing to drive a ways. The local Scheels has Crispi and Kenetrek, Scnees and REI over in Bozeman have a bit different selection. What else should be on my radar? Where can I get the right kind of help on this?

Or does everyone just order something in their size, try it, and sell it if they don't like the fit?

If I were you, I'd get over to Bozeman you owe it to yourself to go to schnees and kenetrek and get an actual industry experts opinion. I'm not saying the box stores don't know what they're talking about but it's a different experience when your in the actual store. In the end your feet will tell you which ones you want. Good luck and spend the time finding the right ones you'll be glad you did when your pounding that first ridge....... trust me.

That's what I've been thinking- I pounded some ridges in the hikers last fall with a foot of snow, and my right ankle kept wanting to roll a bit. Could be a lack of training on my part, could be an old sprain, but I don't think the boots did me any favors.

And Schnee's is impressive- spent most of my inaugural visit debating a Browning Cynergy instead of inspecting boots.

Closest Bob Ward's is in Bozeman. Sounds like I might be making a day trip tomorrow to hit all three. And all of them are probably going to be more accommodating to hunters than my past experience with REI.

That's what I've been thinking- I pounded some ridges in the hikers last fall with a foot of snow, and my right ankle kept wanting to roll a bit. Could be a lack of training on my part, could be an old sprain, but I don't think the boots did me any favors.

And Schnee's is impressive- spent most of my inaugural visit debating a Browning Cynergy instead of inspecting boots.

Closest Bob Ward's is in Bozeman. Sounds like I might be making a day trip tomorrow to hit all three. And all of them are probably going to be more accommodating to hunters than my past experience with REI.
Go to REI.Just wear a tie-dye shirt & say your into packing & need a proper boot fitting. Outside of that going to a real boot company & getting some real advice...

Grew up in St Louis, where REI (sadly) had the best selection of higher quality boots. They also had an insane amount of elitist cyclists and throughhikers that were appalled anyone ate meat, let alone owned a weapon.

Which is why I want to avoid them if I can, but I'm looking to get the best pair of boots. Especially for off-trail. And maybe even for one of those unlimited sheep hunts sometime in the next decade.

Thanks for the advice.

Don’t overlook Hoffman boots. I just saw these recently at a sports show, and had a good chat with the owner. Their line of mountain boots look really solid.

For a “buy it for life boot”, save your dollars for a while and then spring for a pair of Russel Moccasins. I’ve had my Sheep Hunters for 13 years and am on the second set of soles. Well worth it, especially with hard to fit feet. Good luck!

Nobody has said amazon yet. I know while its not the greatest it offers free shipping and free returns on most products. If nothing else is close like it is for me Amazon might be worth looking in to.

Nobody has said amazon yet. I know while its not the greatest it offers free shipping and free returns on most products. If nothing else is close like it is for me Amazon might be worth looking in to.

Problem with that is I really don't know how the perfect pair of boots is supposed to fit, hence the need for help from somebody that knows what they're talking about.

Please, please, do not order unknown boots online. Trying out a pair blind, whether bought online or in a store, is dangerous, and avoidable. REI is your best bet. Don't mention anything about hunting and they won't be biased. Plan to ask a lot of questions at REI about where on your foot it feels tight/loose/rigid or otherwise awkward or uncomfortable. They should let you try several boots until you get one that's just right. If you don't feel confident that the person helping you is competent and knowledgeable, walk away and try another boot expert. This is not rocket science, and it is easy to overthink. However, boot fit done right is worth hundreds of dollars, but is FREE with a boot purchase at your local brick and mortar. Source: I have logged thousands of mountain hiking miles.

Back