Whats your favorite backpacking tent??

schmalts

I need a new tent. Wonder if any of you can give me any reviews on a 2 man lightwieght you may have used or owned.
I am leaning toward the zoid 1.5 or zoid2 at this time because its a little longer for my height.
3 seasons only for less poundage.

If I were buying a two person lightweight tent, I'd get a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT. Obviously, I don't have one, but I know a couple of guides who used it last sheep season. They both love it. I've seen it set up, and what I like about it best is the vestibule area, it's huge, and the tent is very light. It costs a lot more than the Zoid 2 though.
Nallo 2GT

I've got the Zoid I, and let me tell you, it's small! It's nice and lightweight, and I can ALMOST sit up in it. Makes it kind of a pain to get dressed, and I sure wouldn't want to have to spend 3 rainy days inside it. My advice is to set them up and try moving around inside them in the store before buying. You'll be glad you did.

Oak

I just bought a cobra by Peak1. Its a real close clone of the Zoid 1.5 at half the price. I checked reviews and it was every bit the zoid on reviews so i shopped around and got one on ebay real cheap, brand new. i set it up in the living room and without staking it out it seems real nice. I had trouble finding a tent due to the fact i am 6'1" and most backpack tents are too short for my liking. My choices led me to the zoid 1.5 and 2, and then the cobra.
I liked the eureka Zeus but the reviews showed lots of leakers.

Zoid II, Thats what I own... LOVE it !!!! It's a 3 season I think and I've never been in there with another guy.. Or lady Either
wink.gif
But it makes a Kick ASS solo tent !!! Light weight and compact. The poles break down Especially small for tighter spaces... I give it 2 "HORNS" up
elkgrin.gif

8x10 tarp. Lightweight, $3.99

In inclement weather I do what I call the "alligator roll". I lay the tarp out flat, get in my bag on the edge of the tarp. Grab one edge of the tarp and roll. Weatherproof burrito!

The downside is that if something decides to eat you in the middle of the night, you can't move too quickly.

T Bone

I'm with T-bone on this one. I've spent pleanty of nights out under the stars. If there's a chance of rain, string up a tarp like a pup tent, with another under you, corners proped up the keep the run off out.
With a cheap coil of 1/4" rope it's under $10, goes up fast, and you don't worry about poking a hole in your expensive tent.

Well after my last commit, I was down at Costco today and they had a "Swiss Army Tent", a 9'X 9' 3 pole dome with lots of nifty features. Only $50, I couldn't resist.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back