Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What would Randy do (WWRD)?

Tips n Tails

Well first & foremost, allow me to dial you into my dilemma.

Im AD military who’s been stationed OS the last 3+ yrs. I was selected to become a Military Training Instructor with a class start this month. That selection came with a 150 days of technical training and task qualification prior to me having the green light to go hunt this Fall. During that 150 days students aren’t allowed leave.

I purchased a Idaho capped elk tag 1 Dec 19 with the intent of completing training by XX Sep/Oct 20 date and taking 25+ days of leave to go scout/hunt. However, COVID-19 has handicapped my hunt plans due to the Dept of Defense placing a stop movement on all DoD personnel which has pushed my training date forward and my Idaho hunt season “out of scope”.

Theoritically, if I start training in Jul 20 + 150 days that puts me completing said training in Dec 20, Aug 20 - Jan 21, Sep 20 - Feb 21 for reference.

So WWRD?? I follow Randy’s Fresh Tracks, Elk Talk, etc...religiously therefore, I’m left wondering what would Randy do to salvage the CY 2020 hunt season.

MT General Elk tag application has come & gone. I plan on attempting to scoop up a leftover general tag or a Elk B tag and/or getting on the MT Hunt Roster.

Idaho, Wyoming, or Colorado don’t have late seasons meaning their hunt season doesn’t roll into January or February which I may need to utilize those months dependent on when I can start training.

Another option is Oregon. Am I sold on hunting elk? No, I’m not yet, I looked at mule deer/antelope buck & doe and again most states have their mule deer/antelope season ending 29 Nov *apprx. I’m open to hunting Axis deer or Fallow deer in Hawaii or Aoudad in Texas, or whatever.....again I’m open to suggestions.

Since 2020 has been somewhat of a “wash” I do plan on purchasing PP/BP to hopefully not waste time that I can’t get back.

I realize this was long winded however, I wanted to provide you with as much relevant info to assist me in making an educated decision.

Thank you!

Have you started your instructor gig yet? I was an instructor at an army school that was 5 weeks then transitioned to 7 weeks in 2013 I think it was. Honestly I thought the cycle breaks were worse than when we had students. It was balls to the wall getting ready for the next class. If you haven’t started yet, it might be wise to wait and see how things are ran at the school. Plus there can be some good hunting on the bases, just some hoops you have to jump through. You can send me a pm if you want and we can chat more.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back