What to hunt in NV.

imported_John

I had to go to a class today, and during one of the breaks, the CEO of our company asked me if I would like a transfer to either the Carson City, or Reno area. I told him I would consider it in a year or two. If I take this job, what is the hunting like out there? I have enough weapons to hunt just about anything on this Continent. I am really into coyotes and deer, and I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. Whet else can I expect to find? Also, what are the gun laws out there? Are there any difficulties in getting a CCW permit? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
John
tongue.gif

When you live out west, it's ALOT different than living on the east coast. Milage really becomes a moot issue. Your going to travel, unlike anything you've ever experienced, just get used to it.

As far as game goes, it all depends on what tags you can draw, and how far you want to travel. What do you want? Elk, 'Lopes, Mulies, Bighorn, Blacktails, Cougar, Bear, 'Yotes????

You'll need a 22/250, a 7mm/08, and a 300 Win Mag.

Or a 223, 243, 25/06, 270, 30/06, 7Mag, or a 338.

Anyways, have a good time and stay in touch. These YaHoos will lie to you every chance they get, rob ya blind, raid your pogie bait, and drink all your liquor. Ya can't trust any of 'em cept me!
cool.gif

Hey Gunner46,
I grew up in California, but moved to the east coast after I got married. I hunted Blacktail deer, and hogs while a teen ager, and I got a black bear once in Plumas County, but I have never hunted or lived in Nevada.
As far as guns go, I think I have that about covered. I have several .22 rim fire rifles, a .22 hornet, a .243, A 30.06. , .44 mag lever action, 45.70 lever action, 2, 20 gage shotguns, 2, 12 gage shotguns, 4, .50 cal black powder rifles, an Enfield, an Arisaka, a Spencer carbine, an 1873 Springfield in 45.70, several handguns, and maybe a long gun or two I might have forgotten about.
I am also in the market for a 22.250, but I need to get a divorce first. She said if I bring another gun into this house, she is leaving. I should have a new Savage bolt action by Valentine's day!
biggrin.gif

Weeljust acroos the border from Reno into California you are in the D 3-5 Zones with bear, and black-tail. or north on 395 to Susanville you get into to the X zones with some nice Mulies, X is by Draw and D is over the counter. pretty good fishin' in pyramid lake or back into California at Eagle Lake. North out of Reno you can find some pretty good Mulies on the Nevada side

Just saw the post.

I have lived in Reno for 2 years now. I like it.

Lots of hunting on public land. Upland game I rate 10 out of 10. Coyotes, cats 10 out of 10. I've killed a dozen or so dogs this year within 15 minute drive of my house.

Deer, antelope, elk, desert, california, and rocky mtn bighorn sheep are draw only hunts. Being an Idaho transplant its hard to accept the idea of no OTC big game tags. On the bright side, if you get an bull elk tag, chances are high of you putting a monster bull down. Same with sheep.

Fantastic archery club here that has weekly Wednesday night 3D shoots.

Great trout fishing, mostly lakes. I'm not much of a bass fisherwoosie but I hear they are around as well. Knockout salmon and steelhead fishing is 2-3 hours away on the California side.

Offseason I like to go to California (4 hour drive)to do some archery wild pig hunting.

Everyone here owns guns and/or has tatoos. Some say you measure the beauty of the women by the tooth/tatoo ratio. 1/1 ratio is a hottie. Sorry I got distracted......

Getting a CCW permit is easy unless you have a criminal record. Lots of gun clubs, cowboy action, fantastic rifle range with competitive shoots.

Great place to raise a family if you have kidoes. Lots of lakes within 2 hour drive if you're a boater.

Oh yea, legal prostitution....

Thats all I can think of for now. If you have questions ask away.

Some really awsome waterfowl over near Fallon too. Lots of public access or shoot the Green Head Duck Club just south of the Naval Air Station.

You will like Nevada, has good coyote, bobcat,and lion hunting.Deer are thin right now but if you draw an elk tag the average is a 6 pointer,good upland game and bird hunting.The speedgoat hunting is good also,what else oh you travel by hours instead of miles and there is a lot of sunshine.Only drawback is all the Kalifornians moving into the Reno-Carson area and bringing there Kalifornia mentality with them.If you can handle that then you will like Reno-Carson .And it is centrally located area with whatever you need only a half to an hour away.

THanks for the comebacks guys. I'm looking forward to moving out there someday soon.
NV Walt, I think I mentioned befor, that I grew up in Kalifornia, so I know what that sh*@ hole is like. I moved to the East Coast about twenty years ago. My sister and Mother live outside Carson City, and my sister brought the mentality with her. She is a real left wing wako. I e-mailed the post that T-bone put up because she works for a dentist, and I thought that the "tooth to tattoo" coment was histerical. She sent me a two page e-mail this morning, chewing me up one side and down the other, about maniacs with machine guns shooting her cats and dogs and horses and birds. She says anyone with a gun should move to an island and just shoot each other till we are all gone. She says there is absolutly no reason for anyone in this country to own a gun of any kind. Guns are for the military. We have been arguing this point for the last forty years or so, and I don't even try any more. I told her to go and rent the movie "Red Dawn", and tell me what she thinks of it. I have not heard from her yet, but when I do, I'll let you know whet she has to say. Mom, on the other hand says that what ever I do with my guns, as long as it is legal, is ok with her as long as she does not have to see any dead animals.

Back