Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

what to do with rifle that doesn't get used?

MThuntr

I have an early Accutrigger Savage 10 300WSM (cheap wood stock) that doesn't get used since I got my 280AI. Currently has a 4-16 Vortex HST mounted. I know the stock has seen better days (the rifle had a cheap sling swivel mounted bipod that chewed part of it up) but it shoots as well as I can at around 3/4" using 180gr E-tips. My only complaint is that the blind magazine only holds 2 rounds which is basically a non-issue but I do like to shoot an animal until it stops. I bet I have nearly 200 pieces of once fired brass too.

What would you do with it? Try to sell it? Dump a bunch of $ into a rebarrel and a new stock (possibly a 6.5 GAP or a Sherman)?

Why not a great back up gun to take to hunting camp. You or someone may need it. I always take two gibe with me. One year my buddy needed it. We were glad I brought it. Now he brings a back up
I should have mentioned that I have a 300WinMag and a 7mm08 that go with me on hunts. Basically this rifle has been replaced.

I suppose sell it. But then I don't like magnum cartridges. probably keep as a back up but, purely an opinion, you have a 7mm-08, about as good a backup as you could have.

I'd lean towards selling it. I've had and still have Savage rifles, so I'm not at all anti-Savage, but if you're going to build a new rifle I'd do it on a better action. Also, I need to listen to my own advice as I have a couple of rifles that haven't seen the light of day in a long time.

Yup I used to think I'd never sell one. Now if it isn't an heirloom or does get used down tge road it goes and I put that money towards something that will.

Guns I don’t use get sold. I can think of 1 time in 30 years that I needed a backup gun, and I just borrowed one from a friend.

I always have a backup, and I always have a friend or kid wanting to get into hunting. That being said, a 300WM isn’t the best loaner gun.

Savages are easily rebarreled. Or you could sell it

I am going through the same thing. I have three or four guns that I have not used or even shot in several years. I am selling them to build a couple custom guns.

I am going to end up with the following rifles:

Marlin 1894 tricked out. Fun to shoot but not used much. I should sell this one but love the lever action guns.
257 Weatherby (love those rifle and go to deer rifle)
7mm-08 (my son’s)
280 AI (one of my next builds)
knight .50 caliber Disk Extreme (another one my son says is his after this year’s elk hunt)
Knight Ultralight .45 caliber(probably going to sell this one as well)
Custom .45 caliber muzzleloader (this is more than likely going to be an arrowhead custom muzzleloader).

Not near as extensive as some of you and my grandfather (a gun collector) would have laughed at me. I actually like shooting and these will get used a bunch.

Sell, did the same on a couple recently and used it for other gear or upgrades on what I shoot now. Or ammo.

I am the last guy to ask then. My problem is I never sell anything. Why now I have 2 safes. I am a gun and ammo hoarder. Don’t be like me.
82091289.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back