Caribou Gear

What should I do with this gun???

drahthaar

Its a .243 wssm. It's new in the box, never even had the bolt in it. I won it at a banquet years ago. I have tried to sell it in the local freebie rag. Everything is discontinued, the gun, the ammo. I don't reload, yet, so I can't even get ammo for it. I've tried trading it in on a more popular caliber, but there were no takers.

Should I just throw it in the safe? Keep it new? Find some ammo for it?

I just want to know what some of you guys would do with it?

If you plan on shooting it a lot ammo is expensive and it's hard on barrels. I'd say put it on gunbroker, transfer it thru an FFL holder, and buy something you want. Life is to short to have a gun safe full of guns that you don't shoot.

If you plan on shooting it a lot ammo is expensive and it's hard on barrels. I'd say put it on gunbroker, transfer it thru an FFL holder, and buy something you want. Life is to short to have a gun safe full of guns that you don't shoot.

How does gunbroker work? I need to find a FFL holder before hand, then have him send it too the buyer?

I believe you ship the gun to a FFL holder, close to the buyer, after you have received payment. The FFL holder transfers the gun to the new owner which covers your a$$.

The problem with re-barreling is that you a effectively stuck with a short mag, due to the size of the bolt face. You might like a .325 WSM, but the gun will almost certainly need feeding work, new mag box, new follower, barrel channel opened up, check headspace, good stock, glass beading and a trigger job for good measure. IMO, Either go custom or sell it and buy a factory gun of your choice.

Kind of excited about the possibility of bringing this gun back from the dead. I drive by Montana Rifle Company every day, have heard good things about their barrels. Also some others like Kreiger.

What calibers are possibilties? Any short mag? 308? 25-06?

If it's the small action, you can have it rebarreled to any of the WSM calibers (300, 325, etc). Your bolt face should measure .540 +/-

Put them both on gunbroker and sell them and get something you will use. The boys at Power horn will help you ship for a few $.

Go with kreiger, the barrels and CUSTOMER SERVICE are much better.

You will have to stay with a cartridge that fits the .540 bolt face and fits into the short action. I.e. Any short mag. The .325 is the only short mag that really fills a niche IMO. 200gr bullets at almost 3,000fps will up end just about anything. I can recommend a good gunsmith in Cody, WY if you need one.

The WSSM has a shorter action than the standard 'short' action. One of the gay marketing ploys of Winchester... "Lighter, handier rifle"... that shortened action shaved about 2oz. Unfortunately you're stuck with a WSSM line up.

What make is it?

What model is the 325 and are you willing to part with it? :) Since I bought mine about 6 years ago, the rest have been collecting dust. I'm sure you could unload it pretty easy.

If you don't need to sell it, keep it as is, and stuff it in a corner. 20-30 years from now it could be worth a small fortune, or less than its worth now... :shrug: Otherwise post it on gun broker. This time of the year is a hard time to sell a rifle. People are unloading them for Christmas cash. Good time to buy a rifle though... Even better to wait until about mid January-March.

You could be really cool, and make it into a 35WSSM.

I'd sell it on gunbroker and buy something else. It's not worth the hassel or expense to rebarrel--if the re-barreling is done correctly.

Like Bambi said, you're stuck with the one of the WSSM offerings since the action is shorter than the WSM.

If it were I, I'd buy some reloading equipment and hunt it. It'd make a dandy deer, lope, coyote, wolf rifle.

Or just sell it cheap, someone will buy it.

Idea 1 - Sell the thing. You put a new barrel on, it will still sit. Unused. Like yer .325. (shame on you man)
Idea 2 - I would just call yourself a collector :) get an FFL lisc and keep the things, as is, new box because your lucky a$$ will most likely win more guns at more auctions (seems the same guys win the shit every year) and make it your hobby!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back