What Sausage stuffer

Jeremyc_1999

I'm looking to get a sausage stuffer. I'm mainly planning on making brautwersts, but I'm also going to try some snack sticks. I live close to Sausage Equipment supply and will be purchasing from them. I think I've decided to get an electronic stuffer since I'll be mainly doing this process by myself until my boys are old enough to help (they are currently 3 months and 2 years old). I'm looking at the LEM 20lb and 30lb stuffer. Do you think I should go with the extra 10lb capacity? Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

All I know is I use a smaller, crank stuffer and if I could change it I'd go electronic and attempt to have a hopper big enough for 1 batch though I rarely do more than 20lb batches so I don't see the advantage of the 30lb system

I have the Cabela's 20LB commercial grade stuffer and am not a fan. Bad design where the plunger is all the way down and not including what is in the tube there is around 2 pounds of meat in the bottom of the thing. That sucks when you want to make a few different spice mixes and are trying to deal with stuffing the last couple pounds into the cases... and that is if you are doing summer sausage where it is even possible.

I have the LEM 5lb, no issues at all. I only do 25lb batches so not much to gain for going to a big one. My 4 year old hand cranks for me

I've used the Cabela's and another, forget the brand. Hand crank is horrible, and the motored one I had the gearing stripped out twice. Went to the Dakotah Water Stuffer and it's awesome. A 2 person job to run but they all are really, especially when feeding snack stick casings. If we pack it right we can do a 25lb batch in 3 runs.DWS.PNG

I had a little horizontal stuffer. The advantage is that there is very little left in the stuffer because there is no turning elbow. The disadvantage is that I needed to clamp it down to the counter top to use.

I gave that one away and replaced it with a Hakka vertical stuffer. 5L is about 10lb
I really like it and its easy to use by myself with a little skill. What I dont like is the large elbow at the bottom which does not get stuffed. I usually just package that meat for making patties.

I have not owned, but saw the LEM stuffer and like how small the elbow is. That seems like a superior design.

Some things to look for in a stuffer:
The piston head should have an air valve to let the air out as it is starting to compress the meat.
The tank should be easy to take off and refill with out removing the horn that has the casing on it....thus the tank size does not matter.... just keep refilling.
Is it easy to take apart for cleaning.
Is it small enough to fit in your storage space?

For me, hand crank is fine. Especially if your meat is a little wet (water added) it goes through easy enough that there is little force needed and one hand cracking is easy. The other hand controls tension on the casing.

Last edited:
Back