what area to put in Wy and Co

JWElk

Was hoping to get some info on where to start puting in for in wy and co . For a trophy mule deer hunt. It would be do it myself so area would need public land. Thanks alot

For trophy ones I would get some preference points built up an the go for one of the better units Ad for hunting and hoping to get a trophy just start griinin the draw. It's like the lottery. You gotta play the game to win. As for any certain area it all depends in what type of hunting you want to do. Colorado you can go real soon with OTC. Lots of resources on here, and f&g is a real help. On choosing. Get elbow deep in searching and you'll figure out when and where you can go

Few people are crazy enough to "tell all" @ their public land trophy deer spots. Either find some extremely remote or rugged country nobody is crazy enough to hunt or start buidling points. Personally I think CO has more trophy potential w genetics and their limited entry pt system for licenses. Plus the deer get alot less pressure with alot less hunters. WY seems to allocate their licenses more for hunter opportunity, not trophy potential. If set on WY, hunt the high country, most lower elevation public lands get pounded by hunters. Do your research, its fun and rewarding. Burn the phone lines. Talk to wardens, bioigists, etc. Most are very friendly and helpful. But be patient, most are alittle hard to track down. Another state to consider is Nevada. Lotsa of huge muley bucks on public land. Down side is that tags are costly and will take several years to get, but it is worth it if you truly want your best chance at a trophy mule deer.

Another tip for limited entry. Just because there are only a few tags available for a unit, doesnt always mean it is a good trophy area. Sometimes its cause there is a very low deer population in that unit. Do your research, it's fun & rewarding. Ask questions to locals like "where would you hunt to get a trophy deer on public land?"

Thanks for the info fellas, i will keep doing research and find a tough high country area for horses or my feet and start applying, as long as i dont see many people i would love hunting other states either way.

Think about using archery gear or muzzleloaders. Alot of times those tags are a little easier to draw and you'll have less competition. Consider going to a unit with OTC rifle elk tags too and make it a combo hunt for yourself.

thanks alot john, would you suggest doing the bonus points for awhile to increase odds for a better unit?

in my opinion I would start banking points, since it's going to take a good couple years to draw a good unit, while coming out and doing some OTC elk hunting and checking the state out while you bank the points

thanks for the advise top gun. I bought one for wyoming this morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back