What age of rifle is considered "modern"?

2rocky

Often people talk about how "Modern Bolt action Hunting rifles are all capable of 1.5 MOA accuracy" or some similar measure...

I'm wondering just how modern is modern?

Pre '64 Winchester Model 70 . Modern or not?
1980's Model 77 Ruger Modern or not?
2000 Savage model 11 ?

2020 Christensen arms?

Often people talk about how "Modern Bolt action Hunting rifles are all capable of 1.5 MOA accuracy" or some similar measure...

I'm wondering just how modern is modern?

Pre '64 Winchester Model 70 . Modern or not?
1980's Model 77 Ruger Modern or not?
2000 Savage model 11 ?

2020 Christensen arms?
I think all those would be considered modern. I believe some states classify any rifle that is breech loaded as modern. Just my thoughts so not worth much.

I think of a modern rifle much the way as EKHunter. I would, for my purposes, add that a modern rifle is scope-ready. I have my father-in-law's old rifle from pre-WWII and I would have to drill the action to install a rock-solid scope. I have hunted with open sights and even 100 yards is a poke for me to get a tight grouping from a bench.

The only open-sight rifle I was deadly with was my father's Winchester Model 74 .22LR through which I shot so many rounds through at targets, squirrels and rabbits that I could hit things out to 150 honest yards on a rainbow trajectory if a steady rest in the crotch of a tree limb using my Kentucky windage and holdover. This was before rangefinders, too. I would load with the muzzle on my boot as slid in cartridges through the side of the stock and I never figured out a safer way to quickly reload. I still have my toes.

I think in the context of "Modern Bolt action Hunting rifles are all capable of 1.5 MOA accuracy" people are talking about guns in the past 10-15 years where budget guns have really come into their own.
This is the kind of answer I'm looking for...

I'd say Compound bows older than 5-10 years old are not as fast and forgiving as bows produced since then.
I'd say Bows older than 15 years would be a serious handicap for someone trying to be competitive today in a BHFS 3d class.

This is the kind of answer I'm looking for...

I'd say Compound bows older than 5-10 years old are not as fast and forgiving as bows produced since then.
I'd say Bows older than 15 years would be a serious handicap for someone trying to be competitive today in a BHFS 3d class.
Top quality hunting compounds took a huge leap forward over 20 years ago, with relatively minor incremental gains since, IMO. I have and still shoot 3 bows, aged from 2000 to 2021 models (Hoyt and Mathews). No significant handicap with the older bows - for hunting at least. They all still feel like they have good technology. My 2000 Hoyt bow is faster than many present day bows probably. My early 2000’s Mathews Outback is slower than my 2000 Hoyt and 2021 V3 but is still smooth and accurate and does not feel old. 1990’s compounds, while often still good quality at the time, have that older primitive feel.

As for rifles, I’m no historian or arms expert but believe most of the current technology as far as bolt actions go is probably dating back half a century at least and even much more. Barrel making technology is time tested as well. The advent of the Mauser Model 98 or thereabouts, is probably as decent a measure as any of the timeframe that kicked off the modern bolt action rifle era for real. Those rifles are often still going going strong today a hundred
years later with copies and adaptations present in a lot of the current produced weaponry.

ATF says thus for C&R guns:
…firearms as those which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons.
To be recognized as C&R items, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms.

So… government says not modern would be that chrome Raven 25 SNS with a jiggly safety and unreliable sear. Will it even fire? Will it discharge into my foot because I coughed? Nobody knows! Curio.

to me personally, l consider any rifle built from 1980 to be modern, anything before that is vintage. the old pre 64's and old remington 700's are just pieces of functional art.

Modern = cartridge vs. Front stuffer
True, in a way...

If this were the mid 1800s the percussion cap would be modern.
Along with rifled barrels & the Minnie ball.

On another reflection there's cartridges like the 257 Roberts.
Factory loadings are kinda anemic due to firearms still around since before 1920 that were chambered in it.
"Modern" firearms use a "+P" loading just fine.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back