Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

West Virginia Elk Herd

I have a friend that lives at Dingus in Mingo Co. He told me that he had saw a few tracks but never got to see one. We felt that they were coming over there from Ky. There is a lot of old Strips and wilderness area down that way. I really don't know why they wouldn't want to stock some cows to help increase the area. Ky F@G along with RMEF have done a great job. We may never be able to try for one. But our kids or grandkids may have that chance.

I have a friend that lives at Dingus in Mingo Co. He told me that he had saw a few tracks but never got to see one. We felt that they were coming over there from Ky. There is a lot of old Strips and wilderness area down that way. I really don't know why they wouldn't want to stock some cows to help increase the area. Ky F@G along with RMEF have done a great job. We may never be able to try for one. But our kids or grandkids may have that chance.

KY has done an excellent job managing the herd and they are crossing the Tug Fork. That area of WV has more reclaimed strip mines and a broader area than KY is utilizing. I have heard our resources in the those 4 counties could hold double the elk as KY. I hope my 2 year old boy can hunt southern WV elk when he is my age.

It would be great if it worked for both WV and VA. Virginia gave elk a try a few decades ago. Unfortunately all the rednecks where I grew up wouldn't quit poaching them, so they gave up. They recently started discussing establishing a small herd way down in the SW corner of the state. Hopefully they pursue it.

Back