Weminuche Wilderness Area

SnaggleHornOutdoors

I will be hunting the Weminuche Wilderness Area in the fall of 2018 and I am seeking advice in regards to hunting pressure/outfitter presence in the wilderness area. I am aware that this is a heavily hunted unit(s), however I am also aware that the wilderness area is extremely rugged and difficult to maneuver keeping a percentage of hunters close to the trail heads. I will be backpacking in approximately 2.5-3miles from the trail heads that i have mapped in Units 77 or 78. (1st rifle season) With this being said, how much outfitter presence should i expect to see in these units? Also, I would gladly accept any other constructive criticism, advise, tips or tricks to battle the Weminuche Wilderness Area. Side note: Physical conditioning and preparation will not be a problem due to my past experiences from Alaska and Wyoming. Thanks for reading.

That is a big Wilderness area, a lot depends on where you access from. Are you looking at Rainbow or Williams Creek Reservoir areas? I used to hunt up past Williams Creek and Little Sand Creek, before the fire in 2013, in the 90's/early 2000's so my information is not the best. But a lot of the outfitters ran their operations further than 2-3 miles. It is a very extremely rugged area, and I would plan to get off the trail system, even if it was a mile off the trail. IF you camp/hunt along the trail system expect to see an hourly parade of dayhikers going to the hot springs, hunters, horsemen, and mountaineer types. Side note: I bet those mountains will test your physical abilities.

I think what many hunters doing their scouting and research from afar often don't realize is, the amount of user activity in some areas of the wilderness during the Summer months. What may look good on Google Earth, and other methods, may not tell the story of Summer backpackers, horse trips and even Summer Outfitter fishing trips, etc.. I know of Wilderness trailheads that are so crowded on a weekend, that I have difficulty finding a parking spot with my 27 ft. horse trailer. Many are after trout, many are after that wilderness experience.
Some also say that any decent game holding drainage in Colorado that is even fairly long or difficult to access by a person on foot will have an outfitter in it. A person just has to work around stuff like this sometimes. Oh, yeah there are plenty of places you can escape from others, but I would expect to see other users out there.

Thanks for the info! I had assumed the outfitters packed further in towards GMU 76 due to mules and horses. I figured I would try to find the sweet spot in between. That information you provided really helps me, much appreciated. I have some spots marked East of the Williams Creek Area, heard that trail head is typically a zoo. And touché..hahah i have no doubt the terrain will kick my butt and definitely am not underestimating the ruggedness, however people are quick to shoot any ideas down if you mention packing in 2-3 miles in the Weminuche. In my opinion and past experiences in other western states that mind set is the difference between those who are successful and those who go home empty handed only experiencing the Rockies 1000yds from the road. Thanks again!

Trailheads and trails are extremely used, hordes wouldn't be inappropriate to use, but just a few feet/yards off of those trails it is a different world. Same as most "scary" rough country, people would rather ogle from the safety net of a nice trail overlook. If you go 2-3 miles off trail into the rougher of the area you will find it seems more like 20-30 miles, especially if you succeed. Most of the casual use is long over by 1st rifle (hell its over by labor day...) It is a huge area though and your experience will vary by where you start and your destination, the next trailhead over might be a totally different feel.

I will be hunting the Weminuche Wilderness Area in the fall of 2018 and I am seeking advice in regards to hunting pressure/outfitter presence in the wilderness area. I am aware that this is a heavily hunted unit(s), however I am also aware that the wilderness area is extremely rugged and difficult to maneuver keeping a percentage of hunters close to the trail heads. I will be backpacking in approximately 2.5-3miles from the trail heads that i have mapped in Units 77 or 78. (1st rifle season) With this being said, how much outfitter presence should i expect to see in these units? Also, I would gladly accept any other constructive criticism, advise, tips or tricks to battle the Weminuche Wilderness Area. Side note: Physical conditioning and preparation will not be a problem due to my past experiences from Alaska and Wyoming. Thanks for reading.

I've archery hunted the Weminuche the past two years. In my experience ( only 2 years, so take it with a grain of salt) the downside to the Weminuche is that once you get to an area to hunt, you're really committed to that spot. It's tough to go from one spot to another. That said, for some reason I've found that there are plenty of spots where you won't see many others. Just try to go over a ridge away from the trails and a lot of times nobody will be there. In my hints it seemed like you need to be 3 miles from the trailhead, but not too much further.

I would mirror what everyone wrote above. I live north of Durango. You can get away from most folks by "hopping" a ridge like GabenZeke said.
The most challenging thing will be to find a resident herd on the boundary of 76 that is pretty close to treeline. Nowadays there is not much snow during 1st season and they tend to stay pretty high or deep in a north facing hole.
We have almost zero snow on our 14'ers right now and I don't remember the same scenario since 2001. I have been glassing elk at 11000 feet even still this winter. If this doesn't change, it will mean barely any winter kill and some slightly different elk habits next fall. What those changes will be, I don't totally know. But, you might be able to take advantage of them. I'm pretty sure the snow will show up this year and if regression shows us anything from the past, the snows gonna come big.
Feel free to find me over the summer and I can keep you updated.
And Squirrel, get ready for a sheep story = Part Duex

Last edited:
You're on the right track. Hike in 2 or 3 miles, then a mile or 2 off the trails. Outfitters usually go deeper. Unit 76 hunters usually come from the North.

The hunters I spoke with accessing the Wenimuche from the North, around the Rio Grande Reservoir (unit 76) didn't fare very well this year. Most didn't even see much for Elk, but did run into an Outfitter that wasn't very pleasant to see them show up on their Mules 5 miles in. Obviously, this isn't very comprehensive info, but this sort of thing can happen, even in a coveted trophy unit like 76.

My favorite place to hunt. Always came in off the Piedra Road out of Pagosa Springs. If you take the trails out of Palisades Horse Camp on foot be sure to bring an extra sandwich, cause it will eat your lunch for the first couple or 3 miles. Lots of Elk up there, but I mainly hunted the 3rd season on horseback. Be sure to check out Poison Park trails.
Good Luck! John

Hmmm.....seems like ol' snagglehorn done pulled the ask for help disappear thing. I'm surprised.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back