Caribou Gear Tarp

Weighting a Stock / Reducing Recoil

vanish

FireTiger has a CVA Optima v2. We're going to muzzy hunt pronghorn again this year. She hates shooting it because of the kick. She was always a great shot but now she flinches.

I've had her cut back on the amount of powder and I think it is fine now, but she's still scared of shooting it. The gun is very light, and she prefers a heavier gun for the steadier shooting.

I know one of the options for reducing recoil is to weight the stock, thus making the gun heavier, but how does one actually go about it?

Take off butt pad. Mix desired weight of lead shot into some quick set epoxy. Place inside cavity towards the muzzle end (make sure this cavity is full closed at the end and doesn’t have a gap opening to the trigger area). After it sets fill the remainder of the cavity with latex caulk or dense insulation spray foam. Replace butt pad.

Another option to reduce recoil

Attachments

• A7404DC0-59F5-4DDD-9B0E-9A3E7C813C83.jpeg
    A7404DC0-59F5-4DDD-9B0E-9A3E7C813C83.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 21
I not certain if there is room to add weight under the barrel but a lot of stocks have recesses in this area that you could also add weight to. Lead shot or titanium rod if they fit your cost requirements. Before I mixed epoxy with lead shot and put in rear of stock, I would try just putting shot in an old sock or some type of container until I figured out the right amount of weight to add and where. After I was satisfied that it was what I wanted then I would make it permanent by using epoxy. Just my 2 cents.

My girlfriend had the same issue so I double bagged BB's and put them in the buttstock. Then I shoved a rag to take up the space. Screwed the butt pad back on and she has loved it since. And it's removable.

Not knowing what weight of bullet you are using but sometimes a lighter bullet helps with recoil. Not sure if it’s feasible in your case though.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back