Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

weatherby vangaurd range certified

anyone have one? are they are good shooting rifle? have a chance to pick one up under 600 dollars

Whoops - my bad - missed the RC reference.

I have a V2 in 25-06 and it is a shooter - my go to pronghorn rifle. Not quiet as nice as my Tikka's or Bergaras, but much better than the Axis, Axis II, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot, etc.

But I haven't used the RC upgrade.

Last edited:
I've had a couple, but I'm not huge fan. They're OK, in my opinion. My .300WM was pretty accurate, but the .270 was as finicky as a high-maintenance, self-involved girlfriend. I wound up selling them both.

Getting one for under $600 does sound like a good deal tho.

I have a V2 in 25-06 and it is a shooter - my go to pronghorn rifle. Not quiet as nice as my Tikka's or Bergaras, but much better than the Axis, Axis II, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot, etc.

Darn it. I missed that too. Sorry, my Vanguards were standard factory stuff; the .270 I mentioned was a Wilderness.

I've heard of the RC line, but I'm not sure what the difference is beyond some esthetics.

I think the RC (Range Certified) are rifles that shoot better than the 3 shot into 1 inch group guarantee. SO, they are better than moa (supposedly).

Yea, I'm not sure what the RC adds to it. I've had one S2 stainless that was a good rifle. It was a 7mm mag that shot 160 barnes into an inch or better at 100. With cheaper 150 grain loads it was kinda all over the place tho. I didn't try a ton of other loads but it seemed a bit finicky. Certainly had the potential to shoot well tho. $600 seems like a pretty good deal, I'd do some digging into what you actually get above the regular model.

I think the RC (Range Certified) are rifles that shoot better than the 3 shot into 1 inch group guarantee. SO, they are better than moa (supposedly).
Aren't all new Vanguards Sub-MOA? So this would be sub-sub-MOA?

In response to the OP. I have a .223 that I bought it on a whim as a sort of a beater rifle but I love it. Its a base model so the the stock is plasticy but the shape is okay. The barrel is not free floated but I guess that doesn't matter as I've shot some great groups with handloads and it doesn't seem to be picky with factory either. I'll definitely consider another when buying my next rifle.

I honestly found their sub-MOA guarantee to be a little loose. I could get them to shoot MOA or better if it was something the rifle really liked and I let the barrel cool to ambient temperature literally between each shot. Weatherbys description of the guarantee is a cold barrel and using "premium" ammo.

Anyway, I think they're functional guns. I never thought they "felt" that great (that's just me), they were a little heavier than necessary, and my Rem 700s and Tikkas are more accurate. And 700s don't have a sub-MOA guarantee, but every one I've had experience with was.

OK, I dug up the catalogue where I read about their "Range Certified, Guaranteed Sub-MOA" rifle. On page 14 of their 2014 catalogue States, referring to their Range Certified Rifles: "Get an extra measure of accuracy assurance and the pride of owning a truly special Weatherby Mk V or Vanguard rifle. Each RC rifle is performance tested in our state-of-the-art indoor range. Trained technicians will mount premium optics, boresight and test fire your rifle to determine the most accurate factory load using Oehler Research 83 Ballistic imaging system. The optics are then removed, rifle is thoroughly cleaned, repacked with your target (certified and signed by Ed Weatherby) and readied for shipping. This meticulous process takes the meaning of 'the most accurate production rifle you can buy' to a whole new level". So I guess the biggest thing is they shoot it with different ammo to find which is the most accurate, and send you the target and data from the Oehler 83. Considering the catalogue is 6 years old, this might have been a strong selling point for someone who wanted the best possible factory load determined for their rifle without the buyer having to purchase a variety of ammunition to determine it for himself.

Last edited:

I have a Vanguard in 25-06 as well. I love that gun!

I recently tried a Vanguard S2 in 240 Wby. It was a very well put-together rifle. The trigger was easy to adjust (per their manual) barrel looked great inside. Unfortunately, it didn't shoot as tight as I wanted "from the 240 Wby". 1 1/2" was best it would do with the bullets I wanted to use. I certainly could have tried more loads and eventually find one that would shoot well, "but" I found another rifle I felt I "could not live w/o" and sold it to help finance it, ha. I was "overall impressed" with the S2. A Range Certified" might be well worth it! I am certainly waiting for another Vanguard (S2 or whatever) in the new 6.5 RPM Wby! Would buy one in a heart beat as I really like the looks/idea of it, ha. The 6.5/300 "intrigues me", but not enough to try.

I rock a Vanguard 2, love it in 308. I've personally found every rifle has a couple loads that it loves, and many it hates. My Vanguard is no different. with that being said, using the right ammo I can shoot it about 0.75" at a 100yds.

If it were me, I'd pick up the gun as long as you like the caliber. Oh and the factory trigger isn't bad, but I upgraded to a Timney trigger, I like it a lot better than the factory, but didn't really improve my groupings just like it better.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back