Yeti GOBOX Collection

Waterfowl Migration and Wildlife Management Area video

Excellent video. I have a swan story or two from there. Hunters are fortunate the area was improved for waterfowl.

Great video, also a great spot to go right now, no need to leave the vehicle to see lots of waterfowl.

Cool, a better part of my hunting life has been spent on state or national wildlife areas. These areas are such success stories in partnerships between federal and state governments, game agencies, non profit organizations and sometimes even private land owners in the way they use surrounding lands and water. Their success is verified by the birds we see today flying in the sky. True models for conservation.

Randy
I’m not sure if your aware of the situation at the Salton Sea. Many of these same geese that stop in freezeout winter at the Salton sea, imperial/sunny bono wildlife areas. The death of the Salton sea has the potential to be the biggest ecological disaster for migrating birds on the pacific flyway. It’s a complex situation, highly political of course, and as of last I heard one with no real solutions.

it would be a good place to make a video to bring national awareness.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this video. There is very high quality video and photography used to tell the story. A great balance of the story between the enjoyment from hunters and the benefits to wildlife. Marcus also did a great job presenting this information. He was able to make it fun to watch yet educational. Great job guys!

watched last night, super cool. Freezout has been on my to-visit list for a while. I hear to fishing is pretty good too.

Randy
I’m not sure if your aware of the situation at the Salton Sea. Many of these same geese that stop in freezeout winter at the Salton sea, imperial/sunny bono wildlife areas. The death of the Salton sea has the potential to be the biggest ecological disaster for migrating birds on the pacific flyway. It’s a complex situation, highly political of course, and as of last I heard one with no real solutions.

it would be a good place to make a video to bring national awareness.
Great video. I used to love hunting snow geese at Wister and the Salton Sea in Imperial Valley. As close to Freezeout I live I’m embarrased to admit to have never hunted it. Hope to change that this year. We’ve been talking about it.
The Salton Sea is a very sad story. I don’t even like driving past it any more..

Great video. I had the pleasure to hunt with Ruger a few times. Good times.

I will crowbar in a picture of Ruger. This was the year after I lost Axl and a few months before I got GuNR. Memorable day, we shot six times and killed six roosters. The last two flushed together and it sounded like one shot. I figured we both shot at the same bird....nope, two dead roosters. Ruger was a terrible poser, but great versatile bird dog.333.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome video. My first time there was with my brother in 1965. I was 11 years old at the time. We got there before light and walked from the parking lot to an old barge that was on the bank near the main lake. We used it for cover from the snow geese and the wind. My brother got one snow with Grampa's Model 1897 12 gauge. I was able to talk him into letting me try a shot. I had never shot a shotgun before (lol) well I took one shot at a flock of snow's right above me. I thought it drove a foot into the ground. I handed him the old 97 and said thanks that's enough. Since that day I've been there 100's of times with my Dad, Brother and friends.
I'll be back again.

I've never had the priviledge to go to Freezeout, but have spent a number of days next door to Quivira National Refuge standing around in the pre-dawn stillness, silent as anything. You start to wonder if the bird count was correct......350K Canada geese, 250K snow geese, 70K white-fronted and 250K assorted ducks??? really?? And then you hear one lone goose honk. Three others respond. Then 45 thousand of their best friends all chime in.

Truly a spectacle of nature.

This was a great short. The stories about Ruger were awesome, and a good way to link hunting and the geography being highlighted.

Thank you!

Cool video, definitely enjoyed the watch.

But the Salton Sea problem brought up is interesting, as it is an artificial water body that occurred when the levees of the channelized Colorado River broke and filled a former depression. It wasn't there naturally, but it has been a great ecological benefit for a while. Unfortunately, I think it will eventually end up as a salt pan, given the lack of water flow.

All that being said, I believe it serves as a stand-in for the Colorado River Delta, which pretty much no longer exists. The descriptions of it in Aldo Leopold's Sand County almanac are captivating, but I know that too much water has been pulled away for irrigation and human uses, and the river hardly reaches the sea anymore, so the delta as he knew it is dead.

Just a shame all around, and I'm not sure how to fix any of it (aside from pushing LA into the ocean 😁).

Back