Caribou Gear

Wasted tag

Bullshot

Welp, in all liklihood I wasted 300 bucks and 5 years of points. Tried to send back my SD black hills tag and missed the postmark deadline. Don’t think I can swing it, right now money is tight, vacation time tighter, and peace & harmony at the homefront still in short supply after being gone 2 weeks in Sept for elk/antelope. I hate living so far away… the drive would probably take longer than the hunt… but I don’t have the option to just take a long weekend. Not sure why I am whining on here, just bummed I guess.

Welp, in all liklihood I wasted 300 bucks and 5 years of points. Tried to send back my SD black hills tag and missed the postmark deadline. Don’t think I can swing it, right now money is tight, vacation time tighter, and peace & harmony at the homefront still in short supply after being gone 2 weeks in Sept for elk/antelope. I hate living so far away… the drive would probably take longer than the hunt… but I don’t have the option to just take a long weekend. Not sure why I am whining on here, just bummed I guess.
Sorry to hear that man. The bolded part truly is tough. We leave next week for MT and will spend a total of 5 days or so driving to hunt 6 days.

Sorry to hear that man. The bolded part truly is tough. We leave next week for MT and will spend a total of 5 days or so driving to hunt 6 days.
We did three days to and from MT, total 6 days. Missed the rut by a week and the bulls were mostly silent. We still had a great 17 days chasing elk with a bow, just could not get anything to commit to "playing". Overall, $3000+ in tags, $1500+ in fuel, $1000+ in food, and ONE heck of a great hunting experience. We still learned a lot everyday.

We opted not to get the combo and only the elk tag. Guess what was in camp everyday... Mulies. 15 yards or less some mornings.

Hopefully the OP will find the silver lining with his dilemma also.

Is it a whitetail tag or Any Deer? That’s quick if it’s Any Deer, and longer than I’d hope for WT.

Could you bring your wife with you? Plenty to do besides hunt while there.

If you just want to shoot a buck it wouldn’t take long. But that’s not much of a hunt to just run out and pop one.

It was a WT only tag. The ship has sailed, I’m not going. Probably for the best. Actually feeling relieved in the sense not to be paying another $1000+ for gas.

One upside is that I decided to buy a licence in my home state. I have mostly lost interest in local hunting and I havn’t even gone deer hunting here in a couple years. But I picked up the licence and a muzzleloader tag. I can shoot 3 bucks and all the does I can eat, for under $100 and minutes out my door. Much bigger buck potential than the BH also, even though I just intend to shoot anything legal for the freezer. Using a patched round ball for the first time in a long time will be fun. Might use my inline too. Whatever I feel like. Season starts end of this month, goes into 2nd week of February.

This was my front yard the other day…

9F48826C-8932-45D0-91F7-813CAC219087.jpegD2D40481-A3BB-4ADC-9CE9-1480BD9EC33A.jpegEEEF29E7-2362-4330-81EB-7E62C8429858.jpeg

Back