Want to buy - M.R. Crew Cab

Muskeez

Trying to talk myself into investing the extra $ for a quality pack. Anyone have a good source for MR packs, or have a used one for sale?

Tent Sale must be in MT...? Can't justify driving out for that.

Question for your MR guys: I want to use this pack for a 3-4 day elk hunt. My only concern is, where would you store your sleeping back in this pack? I know the middle opens up big enough to put an antelope in, but that area is not enclosed from rain/snow/etc. Is the main compartment on the back large enough for a down bag if you don't roll it? The long round side compartments don''t look big enough. I have never actually seen a CC.

Two ways I have done my down sleeping bag. Put it in the middle in a dry sack. The other way, is to pick up a MR large load cell and put it in there and then put the load cell in the center area.

What I did on my sheep hunt and Elk hunt this year was to put my Sleeping bag, pad, and pillow, along with one pair of dry clothes in a large load cell. Then put that load cell into a dry sack to make sure it didn't get wet. Put it in the center area. I can live pretty comfortable for 5-6 days out of a crew cab with two load cells and a lid.........I have sleeping gear in one load cell, clothes and toiletries in one load cell, all my food and eating stuff in the lid. Stove and water purifier in the two wings of the pack, and rest of my daily hunting gear in the other Crew Cab pockets.

Tent Sale must be in MT...? Can't justify driving out for that.

Question for your MR guys: I want to use this pack for a 3-4 day elk hunt. My only concern is, where would you store your sleeping back in this pack? I know the middle opens up big enough to put an antelope in, but that area is not enclosed from rain/snow/etc. Is the main compartment on the back large enough for a down bag if you don't roll it? The long round side compartments don''t look big enough. I have never actually seen a CC.

I use a dry bag for all items I don't want to get wet. I've got several I use on river floats, so it made more sense to use one of those instead of the load cells.

On the upside - if I get an animal down and can't pack out camp right away, I can load everything into the dry bag and hang it in a tree for a day or two until I get the elk packed out. That way I know my stuff is clean/dry and no critter is messing with it.

It makes the CC more like a top-loading internal frame.

The load cells are nice in that they are sized to fill that center space efficiently, they are somewhat water resistant (tested in the sink). However, they weigh more than the lightweight dry bags you can purchase from REI, etc., and I would go with dry bag if you are expecting lots of wetness. I've gone both ways on hunting trips, and kind of depends on the size of your sleeping bag and weather.

Its also nice to have your stuff organized in 3 bags - so when you roll into camp you can hang your load cell with food, hide the rest of your gear, detach the day-lid and go hunt. I usually keep all of my hunt gear in the lid, so it can be detached and take off on a moments notice when you want to go light and fast. No digging around in various pockets looking for stuff. I hunted for 9 days out of that bag with very little re-organizing once I had it all figured out.

Back