Vortex Viper Spotter and Tripod set up???

wisconsinteacher

I have Vortex Viper 20-60x85 and a cheap tripod. When I tried using it last year, I really struggled due to the tripod. I was even at the point of selling it due to it being so hard to see through. I will it mostly from the truck for antelope out west and turkey/deer in WI. I'm looking at a Manfrotto MK190X3. Before spending the money, are there others I should look into or will this one help make the scope steady so I can look through it?

I have the same scope and use the Vortex Pro GT tripod. I’ve not used anything else, so no comparative basis on what’s best, but I have no complaints with the Pro GT. If you’re going to be spotting from the truck, though, you may want to look into window mount options.

I've used the Summit, but on a larger scope its not sturdy enough. I'll be upgrading shortly.

I've used the Summit, but on a larger scope its not sturdy enough. I'll be upgrading shortly.
I compared the Summit to the GT Pro at the store and there was a big difference in stability. Summit is designed to be ultra-lightweight, so there’s the stability vs. weight trade-off. 2lbs vs. 4.4lbs, but I opted for the latter.

I compared the Summit to the GT Pro at the store and there was a big difference in stability. Summit is designed to be ultra-lightweight, so there’s the stability vs. weight trade-off. 2lbs vs. 4.4lbs, but I opted for the latter.
Definitely two different tools. If you run an 80mm, the summit is just too light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back