Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Virginia Fishing adventures.

Heck ya! I needed this thread to get me back on track. Haha! Awesome times bending poles w/ bass. Grats!

/Back to working on the bass boat...

Snakehead? I’ve heard they’re bad news but have never seen one. How do they taste?

Are you eating the snakehead? I assume you’re killing all of them?
Yes we are eating them. The states have kinda walked back wanting to kill them. They either need to be released immediately or killed if you want to keep them. There are big fines if they catch you with a live one. They are tough suckers to kill.

Any idea why they don’t want to kill them all?
Because it’s a fruitless battle. They’ve spread to just about every freshwater drainage in the Chesapeake and they aren’t as destructive as originally thought. They kinda fit their own niche and I believe that bass and other game fish are eating snakehead fry.

How do they fight?
They fight like crazy. All but one of these fish was caught using a top water frog deep in Lilly pads. It requires braided line I use 65 pound test and a heavy or extra heavy pole. Sometimes that ain’t enough (see pic below). It’s awesome action, most of the time they are in shallow water and you see a V heading towards the frog and they slurp it down and the fight is on. They are known to tail walk across the water. The biggest one today I had to reel though about 30-40 yards of Lilly pads to get him to the boat. It was a workout. I got bruises along my ribcage from setting the hook and fighting them.B377C89E-A3A4-49D9-AE62-5C61196D844B.jpeg

Last edited:
Great pics and a job well done on the snakeheads. And seeing that platter of fried fish made me happy. That's the best treatment for them. I saw a large one on the Rapidan River during a float last week and could only look at it since I left the pole at home.

Great pics and a job well done on the snakeheads. And seeing that platter of fried fish made me happy. That's the best treatment for them. I saw a large one on the Rapidan River during a float last week and could only look at it since I left the pole at home.
I saw on the VA DWR website that a few have been found that far north.

I know they are no good for a fishery but I wish we had some in Southwest VA. Looks like they would be a lot of fun and I love eating fish! Thought about cat fishing tonight but talked myself into being lazy and watching baseball.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back