Venison/pork Breakfast Sausage

Stay Sharp

Im evaluating the Old Style Breakfast Sausage seasoning from Frisco Spices. http://www.friscospices.com/default.aspx While The packet will season 25 pounds of straight pork, Im using a venison pork mix.

6P8kxmG.jpg

While the packet suggests 5 pounds of pork jowl and 20 pounds of venison, I like mine a little fattier. (It is breakfast sausage after all) and the pork adds moisture and flavor. Its really up to you and your tastes.

JUTLVt6.jpg

I ground the two meats together through a 3/8th plate and then mixed the seasoning packet with 2 cups of cold water to help distribute the spices more evenly.

lvIFZaJ.jpg

Then the meat, spices and water got a spin in the mixer. The next step after mixing is to grind the meat again through a finer plate. This time its an 1/8th inch plate.

AiIDCQh.jpg

The meat can be stuffed in casings to make links or bulk packed and the tubes sliced to make patties. Im bulk packing this batch.

EFqMmDd.jpg

After a night in the freezer I take a tube out to slice and fry to check out the grind and the flavoring (and to have breakfast)

FM6jfS7.jpg

7nywgFt.jpg

Im pleased with the flavor of the Frisco Spices breakfast sausage. If I were to change anything for the next batch it would be to add a bit of crushed red pepper flakes since I like a little heat in my breakfast sausage.

If your looking for a new way to use your venison trim, this breakfast sausage seasoning is an easy choice.

I screwed up and did not regrind through the 1/8" plate. Flavor was good, but needed to follow the directions lol.

We do not do breakfast sausage, but we make a lot of summer sausage and jerky. We always use Cabela's spice kits and are totally satisfied with them. Have you used any of them and how do you like the Cabela's compared to the Frisco?

We do not do breakfast sausage, but we make a lot of summer sausage and jerky. We always use Cabela's spice kits and are totally satisfied with them. Have you used any of them and how do you like the Cabela's compared to the Frisco?

Ive tried pretty much every Cabbalas pre-mix seasoning and they are good as well.

We always use Cabela's spice kits and are totally satisfied with them
I'm not a fan of the Cabela's brat mixes but have had luck with their summer sausage and jerky mixes.

I just blew $100 on spices at Frisco and I'm sure I could have gotten more if I was better at planning. Looks like some of their blends are cheaper than what it costs me to blend my own so this will be fun.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back