Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Utah help

Kaleb2537

I have been elk hunting in Utah OTC for the last two years and am having difficulty finding elk. I plan on going again this year. I have hunted the north and south slope of the Uintas and have only seen a couple cows. I always hint over 1.5 miles from any road and I am to my spot way before sunrise and leave way after it’s dark. I have did a ton of research, read elk and elk ecology, listened to all of Randy’s podcast, spent lots of time escouting and watched all of his videos. I am a member of a few other forums have received info from the members but I realize OTC elk is a safe guarded secret. I’m traveling from Missouri solo and will be there from Oct 2 to Oct 18. I realize there are some better OTC opportunities in different states but I figure learning an area is better than trying to switch states at this point. Any help would be appreciated and if anyone wants to buddy up that would be great. I’m not expecting a honey hole spot or anyone to do the work for me, but I just feel like I’m doing most stuff right just missing something.

I have been hunting OTC elk here in UT for a few seasons. I feel it is one of the toughest tags to fill period. I got snowed out on my hunt last year and am hoping for better results this year, but I am yet to punch an OTC elk tag (I am on my third). There are very few people who are consistently successful on the any bull units here. I guess what I am saying is you are not alone. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Keep trying different areas, dial in the e-scouting, and eventually it will come together. I feel like you only get this one figured out with hard-earned experience.

Good luck to you this season.

Ya I got snowed in last year also and it pretty much ruined my whole hunt.

Keep after it and maybe move less?
Once you get it somewhat figured out you'll have multiple bull encounters over the course of a hunt.

Kaleb,

There are Elk to be found there. I saw plenty last year all be it most were out of range but not all. Last year was my first year in Utah and I hunted the Any bull any weapon season as well and I'll be heading bach there soon myself. IF you plan to hunt any unit that has a antlerless control zone I would recommend purchasing for 98 dollar Antlerless Elk control tag. Then you have the Cow/Calf option too. I think there are 7 or so units where the antlerless control tag can be used. You mentioned you have hunted the North and south slope so your can use the antlerless control tag on much of the South slope but not the north slope.

Last year I was seeing most Elk at around 8K-9K feet. I had looked higher but too but never saw any up real high. Remember that most elk will be seen very early and in the evening. Not that you won't see some in the middle of the day but it's more rare to. Drive around some early and if you see someone stopped and glassing there is a fair chance they either see elk or have seen them before on that mountain side. Especially Listen early and late. Last year they were still bugling when the season opened and several days afterward. I got lucky last year and the first evening In the unit several days before the opener I happend to park for the night. I got out of my truck and walked up on a ridge above the truck where I could see and I heard Elk bugling!!! Then I got my binoculars out and saw Elk running around some 600-800 yards away on a hillside. The area I had planned to scout and hunt was several miles away so I went ahead and scouted the area I had planned to hunt the next day but saw no sign or heard no bugling there. So of course on opening day I was on that hillside where I had seen and heard elk. I saw several Elk opening morning but was unable to take any. But I know where to start looking anyway this year but unfortunately I'm not the only one, there will be a bunch of hunters there. I just have to figure out a way to get a little edge on most. Or maybe even find some more isolated areas to hunt. But again I'll first check out where I saw them before since even if there is a crowd I just have to be one step ahead of them.

Thanks for the response. I also hunt 8-9k and I am going to try to get one to bugle in the dark before season opens. Typically I try to avoid people all together, which could be part of the problem. Good luck this year.

7AFD632D-21F6-4556-A739-15F443677118.png

I spent around 6 seasons between rifle and archery to narrow down an area. I dont have horses, just my feet. Plenty of elk in that area marked, also some checkerboard type private land. North and south slope are huge areas, this isnt a honey hole but if you are in that area it’s worth the 3 mile walk from the road.

Also remember your OTC any bull tag is good for a spike in an LE unit, unless thats changed recently, so good luck!

View attachment 115231

I spent around 6 seasons between rifle and archery to narrow down an area. I dont have horses, just my feet. Plenty of elk in that area marked, also some checkerboard type private land. North and south slope are huge areas, this isnt a honey hole but if you are in that area it’s worth the 3 mile walk from the road.

Also remember your OTC any bull tag is good for a spike in an LE unit, unless thats changed recently, so good luck!

I actually won’t be too far away. I might have to try and check it out. Thanks!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back