PEAX Equipment

Using up the old sockeyes

SD_Prairie_Goat

Digging through the freezer found some old fillets from 2019 and 2020. Well what better way to use the old cuts than some candied salmon?

Probably my favorite way to smoke salmon. If anyone wants the recipe I can type it up, but here's a photo. I'll grab another photo when they're off the smoker.IMG_2662.JPG

Looks like a dang good start. I would be interested in the recipe.

I had been messaging it, but it's not like it's a family secret or anything..

it's not about precision so keep that in mind...

Brine:
3 parts brown sugar, one part salt
make enough to cover the fish you plan on smoking completely. I usually do three cups brown sugar and one cup salt

Prep the fish, I rinse each filet, take out rib bones, and pin bones. Cut into strips, thicker strips will make juicier fish, but takes longer to brine and smoke. I like 3/4" wide strips myself.

Place strips skin side down in large meat tote. Sprinkle brine heavily over fish, can't really over do it here.

Refrigerate covered. Time will depend on many factors, but you're looking for the meat to turn from an orange red, to a deep red like my first photo. I usually plan for 12-18 hours on this step.

Once nice dark red, and also the meat has hardened up, rinse strips under cold water. If you skip this it will be like eating a salt block...

Place strips on drying rack in front of a fan running. Breeze dry until the fish is tacky. Brush on honey cut with water. About two parts water one part honey. This is forming the pectin glaze. Dry until tacky again, repeat glazing. I usually do this three times. If you want a little spice on them, now would be a good time to add crushed red pepper, or another heat source. I've found nothing besides sugar and salt flavor come through the brine process, so here is where you want to add any flavoring.

Now smoke at 180ish to desired doneness. Usually takes 4-6 hours, but I like mine pretty dried out.

Last edited:
Dang that looks good. We’re having a fantastic run on the Naknek, I’ll have to try your recipes.

Attachments

• BD825BB7-FD20-4172-A5A1-7207C394F450.jpeg
    BD825BB7-FD20-4172-A5A1-7207C394F450.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 12
That looks great! I need to fire up the smoker later this month and clean up my freezer as well. Ate my last pack a couple weeks ago. Did you make it up to AK this summer?

I also like the dry brine. I go with 2cups brown sugar to 1/4 cup salt and a bunch of other spices. I don't rinse, I just scrap off the extra with my fingers before letting air dry and the pellicle set. Also the spices I add make their way into the flesh. I'm wondering if the reduction of salt makes it work better? I keep the temps at 130-135 tops, anything over that white fat will ooze and it will get bitter. Again could be the difference in salt though.

That looks great! I need to fire up the smoker later this month and clean up my freezer as well. Ate my last pack a couple weeks ago. Did you make it up to AK this summer?

I also like the dry brine. I go with 2cups brown sugar to 1/4 cup salt and a bunch of other spices. I don't rinse, I just scrap off the extra with my fingers before letting air dry and the pellicle set. Also the spices I add make their way into the flesh. I'm wondering if the reduction of salt makes it work better? I keep the temps at 130-135 tops, anything over that white fat will ooze and it will get bitter. Again could be the difference in salt though.
Did end up in ak this summer, but not for the reasons I wanted, my grandma passed away. Made it to the Russian one day and caught limit. Was really nice to fish with my brother again.

I think your lower salt version probably has some merit. Thinking about it, if you don't rinse more flavor will come across. The one time I forgot to rinse it was like eating a salt lick!

What extra seasonings do you like? Occasionally I'll throw some crushed red for a kick.

On mobile, no idea why it always goes sideways
IMG_2628.jpg

Last edited:
Dang that looks good. We’re having a fantastic run on the Naknek, I’ll have to try your recipes.
Love the picture. I miss big stringers of fish man. Back when I would proxy for my grandpa and they upped the limit, those were good days on summer break

Did end up in ak this summer, but not for the reasons I wanted, my grandma passed away. Made it to the Russian one day and caught limit. Was really nice to fish with my brother again.

I think your lower salt version probably has some merit. Thinking about it, if you don't rinse more flavor will come across. The one time I forgot to rinse it was like eating a salt lick!

What extra seasonings do you like? Occasionally I'll throw some crushed red for a kick.

On mobile, no idea why it always goes sideways
View attachment 187658
Edit the pic, hit crop, move a tad so it re-saves, it will post as it is shown in your phone.

Sorry to hear about your grandma.

My go-to has white pepper, nutmeg, cloves, bay leaves and something else... can't remember.

The Nush and Alaknak have gone to 10 fish per day. Expect the Naknek will too. The run has been huge all over Bristol Bay.

The Nush and Alaknak have gone to 10 fish per day. Expect the Naknek will too. The run has been huge all over Bristol Bay.
Man, I'm jealous. I was on the Russian a couple years ago when it went to 9 a person. 18 fish for me and the girlfriend in under three hours with cleaning. So much fun!

Sorry to hear about your grandma.

My go-to has white pepper, nutmeg, cloves, bay leaves and something else... can't remember.
me too man. Best thing about it was it turned into a big ole family reunion which we haven't had in twenty years...

Nutmeg seems like an oddball, not going to lie...

Back