Using an elk decoy during archery thoughts?

Phaseolus

I am going to be following along on a young friends backcountry archery hunt in a few weeks. I’m not hunting but am going because I am retired and it sounds like fun. I’ll be doing some of the calliing and will have time to use/operate the decoy. This hunt will be before Colorado’s muzzleloader season so I’m not worried about that aspect of it. Any thoughts would be appreciated on its use and deployment.

Using a decoy can be very effective. The idea would be for the caller to be about 40 yards behind the shooter and have the decoy. The bull responds to the call, commits to coming in to the call and then visually sees the cow (decoy) and focuses entirely on the cow while walking right by the shooter. It is not 100% failproof but adding a visual to the sound of the call oftentimes will seal the deal. It would probably work better in fairly open terrain where the bull can see a ways.

Just make sure everyone in the party knows you'll be using one. Besides the obvious safety concerns...when you don't know there's a pop-out windscreen-style decoy in your buddy's bag, he opens his pack when you're half dozing on the hillside and the dang thing pops open a couple feet across your lap, it can be an eye-opener. I may have left a little human sign in the woods that day.

I havent used one yet but I will be taking one in 30 days to NM. Ill share my experience when I return. If you go before I do, please do the same.

I would not have killed my largest bull without one. Shot it at less than 20 yards after being pinned down while the bull charged in.

I havent used one yet but I will be taking one in 30 days to NM. Ill share my experience when I return. If you go before I do, please do the same.

Will do, I’m going Sept 3-9

Thanks everyone for your responses, I haven’t archery hunted in 25 years so just gong along will be a blast.

With a dedicated caller it can be a useful tool. As a hunter, it just adds another moving part to deal with.

That’s what I’ll be this year, a useful tool ;). I usually hunt elk twice a year with a rifle but since my shoulder got cranky I don’t shoot a bow anymore. Having the decoy might give me something more to do other than be behind my young buddy making a few cow calls. I’m pretty excited about going up-valley and hanging with a super excited young guy on a 9 day backpack hunt.

@Phaseolus did you have any success with the decoy? Today I purchased the "Montana Decoy Backcountry Elk Decoy" It looks just like the old Rump Decoy but now weighs 8.5 oz instead of 34 oz. It also looks like it only uses 1 pole or trekking pole instead of 2 like the old version. I'll let people know how it goes and how I use it but would love to hear if anyone has some preferred setups with one. In my case I will have a caller with me (not solo).

1628801152586.png

I have one, but I generally think it's a PITA and not worth the hassle.

I read something years back about a guy who would carry a shed with him while he was bugling to bulls. He'd just give em a quick flash if they hung up and he said often times it would trip their trigger.

Obviously, there's a bit of safety concern there, but it ain't much worse than all the other stuff your already doing at that point. I may try it this year.

I read something years back about a guy who would carry a shed with him while he was bugling to bulls. He'd just give em a quick flash if they hung up and he said often times it would trip their trigger.

Obviously, there's a bit of safety concern there, but it ain't much worse than all the other stuff your already doing at that point. I may try it this year.
Yeah I could see a shed potentially working to. The fact that the one I got folds down pretty small and is light I figured it might be worth a shot. Maybe it would help pull a rag horn in or something. Even though it was a PITA for you did the elk ever respond favorably to it for you?

Rag horn shed can work really good. I’ve used a branch rubbing and hitting a tree. If the bull is in the right mood and gets pissed off thinking a smaller bull is trying to steal a cow, don’t be surprised if he comes charging in.

Strange as it may sound I've had more luck drawing a cow from a herd with a decoy then a bull. Can't verify its ever actually helped with bulls.

Strange as it may sound I've had more luck drawing a cow from a herd with a decoy then a bull. Can't verify its ever actually helped with bulls.
Thats good to hear. I would definitely shoot a cow if given the chance.

Solo, it's invaluable! That estrus scented distraction has been my saving grace to sling an arrow.

Paired, I still think they are great! Any distraction and the simple aspect that the bull actually sees something drops his guard a bit, least that's my experience.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back