Ugh, Another major Forest Fire Ongong

windymtnman

Living here in Southcentral Colorado, we sure are in severe drought conditions. The Spring I typically have my game camera on to watch the antlers grow on the Bulls all Summer is looking as though it may dry up? I wonder if my favorite wallows may as well?

The "416 Fire" in GMU units 74 & 75 has been burning over a month now. A few days ago, "Spring Fire" started up in GMU 83, which is East of Fort Garland, and West of LaVeta, encompassing the huge Forbes Park area. State Hwy. 160 is closed because of it. This morning 61,000 acres burned in a short time, with only 5% containment.
There's another new fire burning between Leadville and Fairplay. These fires have knocke out the internet and cellular service in widespread areas, although they're working presently.

Folks this is serious stuff. The habitats are altered, commerce is disrupted, travel routes are impacted, and if you're planning on hunting in these units, or others, I'd advise you to monitor what's happening here. I picture some nonresidents perhaps being oblivious to this, and figuring they'll come out and hunt as usual. (?)
A lot can happen in the next 60 days, but frankly it doesn't look good, as we've had no rain, hot, dry conditions and the Forests are in Stage II fire alerts. Pray for lots of rain, the ability & safety of the fire crews, and that we can get back to normal. We're having smoky, hazy conditions limiting visibility, and an arid smell in the air.

I've been watching the conditions for a while, it's just my luck to draw on a super dry year. US drought monitor is a good place for broad scale drought conditions. You have any info on the drought outlook of the San Isabel NF, specifically the Wet Mountains of GMU's 69 & 84? It looks to be worse the farther south you go. How is antler development progressing this year with the drought? Also can someone explain the different fire stages and their restrictions?

Fires have always been part of my life here in MT, and we've adjusted accordingly. But, as I have started to hunt more out of state, I should expand what I keep on my radar, like these fires.

I don't specifically know what the conditions are in the Wet Mountains, that are North of this fire, as far as the extent of the drought conditions. The photos I've been seeing of the "Spring Fire" here though are so horrendous, it's hard to comprehend. I saw photos taken by people in LaVeta, with the fire raging toward them from 3 miles away. You can probably find some on the internet, but they were sent to me on Facebook. Huge and overwhelming are understatements.
As far as your hunting goes, I know some posted photos of bands of Elk fleeing across the huge meadow, on the North edge of LaVeta Pass, and of course they were running towards Unit 84, so there's that. Perhaps that's where many of the game will move too? I can't comment on the antler development much. I know I'm seeing the same Bulls on my game camera at a mountain Spring, and they aren't very impressive, but then I think they just happen to be younger Bulls.
As for the fire stages, basically Stage II fire restrictions say no campfires, smoking or chain saw use. Stage III is a total lock out of public entry into a National Forest. For awhile the San Juan National Forest was in Stage III, but back to Stage ii now. Our Rio Grande National Forest is at Stage II, and my guess is, that they will stay this way for a long time.

windymtnman, explain the stages please. Is stage iii worse conditions than stage ii? What stage is it when they close the forest? I'm hunting 2nd rifle in 78/81 (hopefully) this October.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ book mark this site. It'll have daily updates on the bigger fires.
Looks like it's CO, NV, NM and AZ turn to burn early and big this year.
We're going into fire season head on now in Idaho.

Hope the monsoon rains hit that southern country soon, hate to see severe fire years.

have been lucky here this year thus far, lots of snow pack and rain, and cool temps, but that is about to change I here, 95 by Friday. Hope to avoid the 2017 fire season we had in MT, that was brutal.

The USFS uses Stages to regulate permitted uses. Here is a chart explaining the Stage I, II and III alerts. Stage III was implemented for a couple weeks in the 1.8 million acre San Juan National Forest. They have since regressed back to Stage II. Our similarly sized Rio Grande Forest is in Stage II. It would be quite common I think, when a fire breaks out to upgrade to a Stage III, just to keep more control and a handle on managing resources and to protect against even another fire outbreak? https://gacc.nifc.gov/rmcc/dispatch_centers/r2ftc/documents/Fire_Restriction_Chart.pdf

Thanks guys, those are some great resources and explanations. I know this is just going to effect my hunting season, but for some of you it is going to effect your everyday lives and even your livelihood if you're a landowner or homeowner in the area. Maybe the monsoons will bring some relief soon.

thanks for info! I wish everyone who lives or owns property in the area good luck and to be safe.

As a bit of an update from my original post, the "Spring Fire" that has now set a Colorado record for size & scope is over 100,000 acres, and has threatened Cuchara areas and then moved up towards the City of Rye.. Hwy. 160 is a major corridor for East/West travel into this area, and was closed, while the fire burned through LaVeta Pass, but has now reopened.
That said, new fires are starting all the time in Colorado, and resources are thin to combat them. I think most hunters everywhere, are attuned to the conditions here presently, but when you do live here, it's more up close and personal, as it is where we live, not just where we hunt. There's a whole lot of Summer left, and a whole lot of continued bad things, or GOOD things may yet happen.
Wildlife, while important, is not at the head of the list of concerns to most charged with remediation of the damage caused. For those planning their hunts, the fires may concentrate game populations in areas adjacent to where the fires were? That's just my guess.... I also think that good scouting may be the most beneficial around abundant water sources where you can find them.

Are they worse this year than what they have been in the past? Or am I just paying better attention and the fires getting more news coverage?

I think they're worse this year. There are many and they are spreading quickly. I don't remember the last time it really rained. Heck even USA Today had an article about all the wildfires in CO.

Are they worse this year than what they have been in the past? Or am I just paying better attention and the fires getting more news coverage?

It really is that bad. I don't think there has been a comparable year since 2002.

Back