Yeti GOBOX Collection

TSS shot

Resurrecting this one... Before I spend $35 on 5 rounds, has anyone tried the Federal TSS loads out of a more open choke? My old 870 is a fixed modified and I think the higher pellet count would help me keep the pattern density up without springing for a new shotgun. I have the itch to do some turkey hunting this spring, which is a first for me.

Resurrecting this one... Before I spend $35 on 5 rounds, has anyone tried the Federal TSS loads out of a more open choke? My old 870 is a fixed modified and I think the higher pellet count would help me keep the pattern density up without springing for a new shotgun. I have the itch to do some turkey hunting this spring, which is a first for me.
I have not tried it with a fixed choke as you describe. I will say that TSS is the real deal. I’ve turkey hunted for years using a 20 gauge and various heavier than lead loads. I’ll never go back to lead. Check out oldgobbler.com and I’m sure your question is addressed. Also check out Nitro anmo’s website at nitrocompany.com. Good luck turkey hunting. It’s an addiction.

I have not tried it with a fixed choke as you describe. I will say that TSS is the real deal. I’ve turkey hunted for years using a 20 gauge and various heavier than lead loads. I’ll never go back to lead. Check out oldgobbler.com and I’m sure your question is addressed. Also check out Nitro anmo’s website at nitrocompany.com. Good luck turkey hunting. It’s an addiction.
Thanks for the info. I need something to do before the bears start moving.

I'll kick in a little more info on this shot. I have shot it for 4 years in my turkey gun. The pattern below is 2 oz. of TSS 9 shot out of a Benelli M2 with a 21 inch barrel and a .665 Carlson choke. A longer barrel gun will pattern a bit better than the shortie, but I like the handling of the little gun so that's what I shoot. I can't remember what the exact numbers were on that pattern, but it's about 325 in a 10 inch circle and close to 600 in a 20. One of the good things about TSS is the even patterns that it shoots. Very few holes in TSS patterns in my experience. I could choke it down a bit more but the even distribution is excellent with this load.
From a hunting performance perspective, nothing will give you the performance that this stuff will. I've shot about 20 gobblers with it and it simply flattens them out to about 50 yards. I prefer to shoot them shorter than that, but if you need to reach a little further, it can do it and do it with authority. I don't see everyone liking it but it certainly has its advantages.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
I’ve been shooting the Federal TSS #9’s out a my savage 410. It’s pretty incredible. At 30 yards it throws all of those tiny pellets into a circle the size of a basketball. I added a Vortex Crossfire red dot to it. It crushes gobblers at reasonable ranges, and at a touch over 5 pounds is a joy to carry and shoot.

I realize you try to shoot turkeys in the head/neck, but have any of you all using the smaller shot had to pick it out of the meat after a less than ideal shot? That is my only hangup with going to a #7 or #9 for turkey.

I realize you try to shoot turkeys in the head/neck, but have any of you all using the smaller shot had to pick it out of the meat after a less than ideal shot? That is my only hangup with going to a #7 or #9 for turkey.
I have heard that since the #9 or #7 is still traveling fast and is dense it usually zips through the meat but I may be wrong. This is my first year with TSS so I’ll know here in a few weeks how it works when Utah’s LE hunt opens.

I see everyone talks about the Federal TSS, has anyone had any experience with the Browning or other TSS loads from other manufacturers?

I see everyone talks about the Federal TSS, has anyone had any experience with the Browning or other TSS loads from other manufacturers?
I haven't compared mostly because I can't/won't afford $50 boxes of turkey loads but YouTube comparisons suggest Federal and Apex brands are close with Browning just ok. Again I've never compared.

This year I have Federal Black Cloud TSS #3 & #9 blend and will test possibly this weekend using a Mid-range Carlson choke as it was suggested that the bigger #3 Flighstopper pellets could bridge

I’ve only shot 7s and it has passed thru all the birds I’ve shot so far. I’m not a long gunner though, 45 yds is my farthest kill with TSS and he went down in a heap.

I haven't compared mostly because I can't/won't afford $50 boxes of turkey loads but YouTube comparisons suggest Federal and Apex brands are close with Browning just ok. Again I've never compared.

This year I have Federal Black Cloud TSS #3 & #9 blend and will test possibly this weekend using a Mid-range Carlson choke as it was suggested that the bigger #3 Flighstopper pellets could bridge
You’ll have to report on how the test goes I am interested in the results!

Back