Trout Stocking

Whiskers

Every year the Camp Possum Hollow crew helps the Pennsylvania Fish Commission stock Honey Creek. Like every other State, and State Dept's they don't' have enough money or time. When stocking the Fish Commission comes to a spot close to the road, or a bridge crossing, and dump several buckets of Trout in the creek. They usually have the local Fish Warden, the Stock truck, and a parade of 10-12 private cars. Most of these individuals follow the truck, just to see how many, and how big, and where the fish are dropped. These FISHERMAN get out, watch the stocking (some may carry a bucket or two) then leave. This stocking is pre-season.
This year Camp Possum Hollow had 3 of us show to float stock (thats one more than all the other years). Warden Robertson and crew loaded our float pens up with 13 bucket of Brook and Brown trout, about 150-175 trout and down stream we headed. We distributed these fish over a half mile of stream.
Here are some pictures, I have some video that I will have to get around to doing.

Doug, and Elvis with the first pen headed down stream. We got our first load at the bridge, and they put two buckets from the truck in there.

doug_and_troy_bluerock.jpg

Elvis and Doug ready to dip some into a deep hole about halfway thru the first pen.

doug_and_troy_at_mill_dam.jpg

Doug showing a nice Brookie just before releasing

doug_holding_nice_brookie.jpg

There was one Blue tinted Brookie in the second batch that didn't look well at all. He floated on his side from the time he came out of the stock truck into the pen. We named him Humpy, and moved him into a deep hole where we could keep an eye on him. Not sure why, ain like we were going to perform mouth to mouth on him, or rush him to a fish doctor. This is Elvis, getting ready to release Humpy.

humpy.jpg

Humpy was gently placed in the deep hole, he half floated, half swam to a real shallow spot. His dorsal fin was above water, he lay there almost motionless for two days. On Saturday morning I walked to the hole he was in and saw him facing into the current, in the deeper part of the hole, moving like a trout should. As soon as I let my shadow fall over him, he was gone under the log. He did the same thing Sunday morning, looks like he is going to make it. Until opening day anyhow! We stuck him in a hole that the kids will fish, and he will be catch and release at least for the first year....hopefully.

Back