Caribou Gear

Tripod

markwilks

Looking for a light but inexpensive tripod to mount a camera on to film a hunt. Any recommendations?

I second the VA-5 head.

I use an older Slick, it’s aluminum, I believe is a Slick 200? It’s in my list to replace - works fine while sitting but shaky as hell once the legs are fully extended.

I currently have a Manfrotto Befree, carbon fiber tripod and lightweight manfrotto pan head...all-in for under $120 because I basically stole the stuff off ebay.

I had the Sirui VA-5 head and a sirui tripod that I'd found a demo unit from a camera store for about $140...it was nice but I sold it to a buddy who still uses it and likes it. Only sold it bc my Manfrotto setup is lighter and just as good for my purposes.

If you have a couple different models that you'd be happy with, can find a good deal on lightly used stuff with a little patience.

The problem you will have is in the states where the wind blows 20-30 all the time, IE WY, lightweight will just get blown over and break your stuff. Don't go too light, but I guess it depends on where and when you use it and the conditions. I personally prefer the ManFrotto tripods. https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/
The Slik Pro 634 has a hook at the bottom of the vertical section that will hold a stuff sack with rocks etc to help stabilize the tripod.

I have a Manfrotto 850 very light for glassing and shooting off. And a Sirui v5 for stability situations.

Back