Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Trekking Poles

Yup, I hear year. Same thing with MR packs, EXO packs, Crispi boots, bivy questions.........

If you aren't looking to spend to much go with cascade mountain tech. If you will be using them a lot and want quality then you should step it up a notch and look for something else. Any as Snowymountaineer said above there are post all over this site on it. Rokslide as well

To me the greatest benefit is the reduced strain on joints during a loaded descent. YMMV

Yep absolutely. My poles saved my you know what during the pack out back in the Pecos Wilderness in 2015. Coming down with a double load of meat off my bull my feet slipped on the super slick dusty switchbacks about a mile from the truck ( after being 7 miles deep). I spun under the weight and somehow I dug my downhill pole in enough to stop the spin or I was going over a pretty steep drop.

Or just stopping and resting your body on them is nice.

So I have a pair of MountainSmiths I purchased at Sportsmans. Yeah yeah they aren't the top of the line, but they are cork handled which I like, and have the built in shock spring. They have seen close to 150 miles of hard trail use and the only thing I have done to them is replace the rubber tips twice.

I bought a pair of Leki’s last year. I have some balance issues that cause me to fall quite often on unlevel ground.
Last year I stayed upright the whole season. Really helped me going up hill and even more going down. Like adding four wheel drive to this old boy. If your the first in your group to use them be prepared for some comments and funny looks. Im used to it as I was the first to put a scope on my sluggun. Now everyone of those guys has a scope on whatever they shoot. I always used a walking stick but two trekking poles really dialed up my confidence and mobility.

Grabbed some montems off Amazon. Been using them to hike exercise this spring. My 45 year old knees quite like them. Thought they were cheap enough I could figure out if I like them or not

Decided after breaking my 4th pair of Black Diamonds I would try something a bit cheaper... I tend to snap off the tips or snap the bottom section on the BD. A couple weekends back I slid down a steep icy cliff, and snapped my last pair... Wouldn't have been pretty if I didn't have them. Devils club, and about a 20 foot drop.

Time will tell on the less expensive versions, but I imagine they will be just fine. I purchased a set of the Cascade Mountains in CF that JEL linked.

I couldn't imagine not using them. Going down steep grades with a heavy pack, improvising a shooting rest, balancing when hopping across boulder fields, pole-vaulting over creeks, climbing, taking weight off on long hikes, etc.

Yep I keep the rubber boots on at all times. When I know I am going to be above tree line ( lots of rock) I make sure and keep a new pair of boots in the pack.

I was a late convert, but trekking poles are a game changer when you are carrying much weight.

Back