MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

To shoot or not to shoot...

G

Guest member 25165

For those of you that own commemorative, collectible, fine wood on your guns, shot show specials, limited runs, special serial numbered, or antique firearms...do you shoot these or are they safe queens? Are there some guns you will absolutely not hunt with because of the potential to "devalue" these guns? Are you worried about scratching fine wood? What is your practice with these types of firearms?

Why would you buy it in the first place? I suspect that most buy it for collector value which is diminished by firing them.

I have a few guns people would consider to be collectors items, although nothing like a fancy British double rifle, and I do hunt with them. I’m not reluctant to use them, character is character. What I am reluctant to do is make intentional modifications, and although that can be slightly limiting, in that I would not re-barrel with a stainless barrel, or heavy barrel, or barrel of a different twist or cartridge, or go to cutting on the stock, I appreciate those firearms for what they are. Two were flawless, none remain flawless, but because I never intended to sell them in the first place, those dings did not devalue those firearms in my sight. Those dings are character that came about from creating memories by using those firearms as they were originally intended to be used.

I know some guys who buy guns just to have them. Never shoot them.

That’s not my cup o tea. If I buy a gun I wanna shoot it and take it to the field

I wouldn't buy any gun I didn't want to shoot. Have some pretty nice Coopers (very nice for now as their wood, and to be fair, most wood has really gone down hill in the last few years), some nice O/Us from DU, but that was for ducks and conservation, right?
Shoot them, then pass them on and your grandkids won't be tempted to sell them when they are 20 and stupid as they are not "collectible". ;)

I have 2 safe queens. And i have no intentions of putting a round through either of them.
1) Winchester model 94 in 32 Rem. Commemorative. Bought for my father who passed away. At my demise it goes to my daughter.
2) 1861 Harpers Ferry 3 band musket. 68 caliber. Still in whatever they packed them in back then.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back