Yeti GOBOX Collection

New Truck........

Looking at a used 2017 Nissan Titan XD PRO-4X with the 5.0L Cummins diesel. Anyone have input on this motor?

Last edited:
There is probably a reason why Nissan discontinued their 5.0 diesel. I have read good things and bad things about their diesel, similar to the Dodge 3.0 diesel, which I had. I would stick with the proven Nissan gas motor if you want a Nissan. The half ton diesel don't have the performance like the 5.9 or 6.7 cummins.

All I heard from a Mechanic friend said that he won't work on Powerjokes (his description) or the Nissan diesels. He told the folks to take them to their dealers.

Looking at a used 2017 Nissan Titan XD PRO-4X with the 5.0L Cummins diesel. Anyone have input on this motor? Reliability? Fuel mileage? I know a certain person here really likes the Nissan Titans. I want the heavier set-up of the XD version but since the 5.0L Cummins is a relatively newcomer in the diesel world am a little concerned about the long term reliability of this motor. For reference, I've got a 2002 Ram2500 with the 5.9L Cummins and like the diesel performance....I've got just over 200K miles on my Ram. The motor is holding up well but the body is really showing a little long in the tooth.

Keep in mind that someone recently didn't buy another one though.

I drove that truck when it first came out. Given the size and $$$$$ vs relatively modest upsides and reported unimpressive fuel numbers it just did not seem like a good deal.

I drove that truck when it first came out. Given the size and $$$$$ vs relatively modest upsides and reported unimpressive fuel numbers it just did not seem like a good deal.
The fuel mileage, "newness", and turning radius also turned me off. I didn't even end up test driving one.

The reason why they dropped it isn't quality, they just don't sell good at all, so they had to trim costs and dropped the expensive stuff (Diesel).

Anyways: to own a modern large Diesel means you need to understand that this isn't a Mercedes 250D that just run on french fries fat when diesel isn't available or can be used after hitting a million miles in it as a aggregate in agriculture projects in Africa...this is serious technology. Direct Injection, EGR, DEF-System, common rail, etc.etc.etc.

Example: let's say 1 of your injectors will fail. I am sure they run in the 4-600$ price range. You may say, oh that's not a big deal. But here is the bad news: if you don't want be in the shop every other week because of mysterious performance issues, you must change all of them: so you look at 2-3k. One of the bigger issues you will run into, and I am not saying that to offend anyone, is that 9/10 Mechanics have no clue how this technology really works, what the components really do and what to do if something is wrong. That is not even their fault, but the industry pushed it to far, politics supported it and they forgot that the average car mechanic isn't a rocket scientist.

If you want it because you want it, then go ahead and take one. I am sure they are fun to drive. If you depend on the vehicle and you are rural ... pass it.

I have a 2016 just turned 30k on it i love the truck pulls the 5th wheel great like its not even there. Would buy another if they still made them haven't any issues yet.

A buddy of mine has a 17, he is less than thrilled with it. He has a couple of recurring issues and it has been in the shop on a fairly regular basis. He said doing It over he would have gotten the gasser

I picked up a ‘19 new off the lot a few months ago. I don’t pull regularly enough to go with the diesel, so I went gas. No regrets, zero issues 10k miles in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back