Timber Cutting Maps

Argylesox

Hello from Missouri folks. Started hunting out west two years ago. So far I have been mule deer hunting in Unit 55 and OTC archery elk in Unit 14 and I am thoroughly hooked. Anyways, looking at burning my points in Unit 66 for First Rifle Elk this year. In my research I have been informed there has been an increase in timber cutting in the unit that does not show up on OnX yet. Does anyone know of any maps online that will show more recent cutting activity? Also in your experience how is the ground reclaimed after timber cutting is complete? Plant trees, grasses, combination of the two? More or less I'm trying to figure out if they would be good feed areas after the people / equipment has been moved out. Any help would be appreciated.

I have found current and proposed timber cutting maps on the regional forest service website for the area in which you are looking to hunt. It takes a lot of digging and searching. I typically just google the forest service for the county I am looking to hunt and start searching the “land and resource management” section of their website. That’s the best I can do for ya. If you call the local office they can most likely tell you where the current map is located online. The area I hunted that was recently timbered was seeded down afterwards and groomed up pretty good. They have to follow erosion and sediment plans so the logging company cannot just leave the area a disaster.

Thank you! I plan on calling the forest service and biologist, but I want to get as much information as possible first. I would imagine they get a lot of calls and I don't want to have to call them multiple times. From what you have seen are timbers cuts from the same year worth hunting or is the area planted late enough there isn't much time for plant growth?

I hunted an area a few years ago that had only been vacated and seeded by the timber company a few weeks prior. There was already green sprouts growing in early September and the wildlife were all over it. As long as there is adequate rain after it is seeded down it will establish quickly.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back