Leupold Banner

This Happened to me


Grand poopa
Dec 9, 2000
Boise, Idaho
What are some Stories that have happened to you. This topic is for REAL ONES only

I have a Few but I'm sure you're all bored of my stories, Who has the Best "This Happened to me" Story ?


New member
Mar 4, 2002
OK, I guess I'll start this off.
About thirty years ago while hunting deer in Calavaras County California, I had an accident, brought on by no one other than my self and my own stupidity, that could have killed me, and almost cost me my right leg. Several people told me that I should sue Ruger because of this, but this was my fault, and I had no one to blame but my self.
As I said, we were hunting deer, but we were in an area that had had numerous problems with black bears, raiding camps, cabins and tents. A good friend of mine had to put one of his horses down after it was attacked by a big sow. I had spent two weeks putting a Jeep together for this trip in the evenings, after putting in twelve hour days at my regular job, so I was in dire need of rest when we left on this trip. There were three of us. Two of us, my self and Bill, would hunt. Bobby was to be the camps chief cook and bottle washer. We left about 7PM, on October 31, Halloween night, for what should have been a five hour drive to our camp. On the way, we lost two tires on the van and one on the Jeep to flats. Someone had dropped a box of small nails on the highway, and I think we hit almost all of them. When we finally got to the place where we unhooked the jeep, it was about 9 AM, and I had been up for almost 36 hours straight.
While Bill was driving us down a fire road to the bottom of a canyon., we had already seen three bears. He suggested I load up the handguns. He had an old Ruger Flattop in .357 magnum, and I had an old style Blackhawk, in .44 Mag. Neither of these guns had the transfer bar safety feature in them. Without thinking, I loaded six shells in each of the two guns. While doing this, I started to get a little car sick bouncing down this road, and when we got the tent pitched I decided to take a little nap. I never unloaded my gun. About an hour later, I woke up and decided to go and cut some firewood for camp. I strapped on my holster, picked up an axe, and walked out of camp. Now when I was a little kid, I remember my Grandfather telling me once, that whenever you carry an axe, always carry it with your hand close to the head. That way, if you stumble, you could throw it away, and the weight of the head would carry it far enough so you don't land on it. I, am dragging the head on the ground.
About this time, I'm getting to a place in the trail where I have to jump across a dry creek bed. I swing the axu up in front of me and let the handle slide down thru my hand. The handle hit right on the hammer of the .44, and it goes off in the holster. Well, I guess my body went into instant shock, because I never felt anything, and I never heard the gun go off.
All I know is that one second I am walking, and the next second, I am about three feet in the air, and coming down flat on my back. I never felt my self hit the ground, and I still didn't know what had happened. I tried to get up, and when I got my feet under me and put weight on my leg, I could feel my right leg bend sidways like it was made of rubber. There was a piece of meat on the toe of my boot, about the size of a big man's thumb, and a river of blood running out of the top of my boot. The 240 gr, hollow point bullit had gone into my leg just behind the knee, and come out the fronf of my shin about seven inches above the foot.
Bill had been a Green Beret in the Army, and had been home from Viet Nam for about two years. He was pretty good at field first aid, and I think he was already moving toward me when I hit the ground. When he got to me, he put pressure bandages on both holes, picked me up and carried me about a mile and a half, back to where we had left the jeep. He then removed the front passenger seat, put me on the floor, and tied my foot to the top of the roll cage. Two hours and forty miles later, we were stopped for speeding by a CHP. When Bill told him that I had been shot, the cop radioed for a meat wagon to come and get me. They took me about six blocks the hospital, and charger me $136.00!!!! I could have gone the rest of the way in the Jeep for free! As it was, they never even took the cart out of the back of the wagon. I had to climb in my self!
When I got to the hospital and got checked out, the doctor sait that the bullit went between the two bones, but when it started to mushroom, it hit and broke the big one, and put a little ding in the small one. That was the good news. The bad news was that the nerves that control the sensory and motor functions were severed, and the ends were badly frayed. He could not repair them. He told me that I was never going to be able to walk again without the use of a crutch or at best a cane. Thirty years later I walk with almost no perceptable limp unless I am really tired. I still have no feeling down the front of my leg, and I have to wear boots for ankle support, but I have only missed two hunting seasons due to this injury. I am a very lucky man, and I will always be indebted to my friend Bill. Had he not been there nearby, I would have blead to death in a matter of minutes.
LESSON::: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, carry a six shooter with all six chambers loaded. Pretty basic, don't you think? I had been around wheel guns all my life and I did it. All it took was carelessness one time, and it almost cost me my life. If this story keeps one person from getting hurt or worse, then it was worth the time to write it.
Take care all, and have a Happy New Year.


Well-known member
Dec 20, 2000
Geez John, that is a story!

My worst probably was falling out of a treestand. I was in a 'permanant' blind built into a white oak out of 2X4's. I set my shot gun on the opposite side of the platform and was waiting to see a deer. I got a bit tired and dozed off. Next thing I know I was doing a tumble straight forward out of the stand! Dad wasn't too far away and I didn't scream, so that was a story I kept to myself for awhile!


New member
Jan 30, 2002
I was out filming deer in a semi remote area that had a good hiking trail system. I nestled down into a rocky outcropping glassing some bucks about 1/2 mile away. A cute lady jogger came down the trail and stopped about 40 yards from me. She looks around, doesnt see me and drops are spandex tights and proceeds to take a leak right in front of me. Nice bush shot. Wish I had the camera on! Would have been nice to have pics of a mountain beaver.


New member
Nov 20, 2001
Tuckerton, NJ
I live close to the Jersey Shore, during the summer months we get a lot of day trippers that come to enjoy the beach. To get there they have to travel through what is known as the Pinebarrens. Better than a million acres of pine trees.
I was out scouting some new deer locations, and as always had my realtree on. I was coming up on a sand road when this Ford Station wagon came flying in off the County Rd. It stopped about 100ft from me, and a woman jumped out of the car, and ran straight towards me. I stood still wondering what in the HELL is going on. She got about 20 feet from me dropped her pants and squatted, just as she started to Pee, she looked up and seen me. She screamed, jumped up and was trying to run, pull her pants up and quit peeing all at the same time. It was hilarious.
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Latest member