Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The Unforeseen - MT Mountain Goat

Great story, pics, and an awesome goat, long horns and late season long hair. (y)

I see you completely skinned him out, He'll make a beautiful full mount

Congrats!!

Wow. You overcame a lot of obstacles and still pulled it off. Amazing. I hope your family members recover to full health.

Congratulations on a great goat. Thanks for sharing here.

I think this hunt has started a potentially unhealthy obsession with these unique and amazing animals. We are fortunate to have the opportunity to chase them.

Anyone who gets the opportunity to hunt Mountain Goats needs to do themselves a favor and read "The Beast the Color of Winter" by Douglas Chadwick. It is written by a biologist and strictly scientific about their history, behavior, etc.

I found it fascinating that they aren't actually goats but distant relatives. They are of the same Subfamily of Caprinae but they are the only living member of the Oraemnos genus. Needless to say, read the book and learn a whole lot about them before you get the opportunity to chase them in the high peaks.

Wow. You overcame a lot of obstacles and still pulled it off. Amazing. I hope your family members recover to full health.

Congratulations on a great goat. Thanks for sharing here.
Thank you, Randy. Likewise to your family. It seems as though goat tags and poor family health went hand in hand this year.

Congrats on your goat and thinking of your family often

A lesson in perseverance! Way to go. Congratulations on an awesome goat. And you have some beautiful pictures, as well. Amazing! Prayers for your BIL!

Thanks! Definitely couldn't have asked for a better group of guys. They know that country better than most and keep it light when the Beartooth bullshit sets in.
Beartooth BS: Exhibit A-
Beartooth BS.jpg

BS in this case was Bear Spray, to the eyes for BeartoothFront, and to the Mouth for Isaac. Made for some chuckles after the fact, especially when it re-activated 7 hours later over a cold drink and a hot meal at a local restaurant.

Beartooth.jpg

I was fortunate to tag along for a very small part of this hunt, but I can say beyond any doubt that BeartoothFront earned this one! Even with the season coming down to the wire, he kept his spirits high and his drive in full force, hunting just as hard each day and not letting the pressure grind him down, at least not visibly. I think many successful hunters can attest that when you hunt hard each time you go out, you make your own luck, and that was the case here.

I also love this HT community, as it brings us together from across the state and country to help each other out so often. Little did I know when BeartoothFront was kicking some Moose tips my way back in 2016 on this forum that I would pay him back by sidestepping a Beartooth-Bearspray-Blast so that he would lose his vision for a portion of his 2021 Mountain Goat hunt :ROFLMAO:

when it re-activated 7 hours later over a cold drink and a hot meal at a local restaurant.

Even with the season coming down to the wire, he kept his spirits high and his drive in full force, hunting just as hard each day and not letting the pressure grind him down, at least not visibly.
Oh man! I forgot to put that in there. "You don't look like you're doing ok." Nothing a few twisted's cannot fix!

Certainly wasn't visibly but I kept it quiet. Was going for the 9th inning bunt and it happened to leave the park.

Congratulations on your billy and good friends! I read hunt reports of some goat hunts that make me think it's time to stop applying for goat tags. Then I read your report & look at those beautiful photos and even though I know goat-ability is in the rearview mirror, I think maybe next year is the year....

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back