The Road ?

A-con

Did anyone else read the book ? It was very weird, intense and depressing. I remember thinking, "they could never make a movie out of this, it would make people suicidal .
Well they did. I’m not sure if I want to see it or not. Defiantly not a good date movie.

The Road

I also read the book, and remember thinking the same thing. Very depressing. I did see previews and it did look better than I thought it would. Still dont know if I will go see it.

I thought the book was great for the most part (I do have some issues with the bow McCarthy used at the end). I'll see it but I am concerned that the "wife" character will have a larger than ought be role in the theatrical version as the trailers are "Theron-heavy".

I read No Country for Old Men after I saw the movie and the Coen Brothers, I thought, did a great job of adapting the dialogue to the movie (essentially verbatim). Unfortunately, the Coen Bros (the best filmmakers of my generation) are not part of this production.

Well I went to see "The Road" last night.

The wife wouldn't have anything to do with it, but my father-in-law wanted to see it.

A very good movie. Oscar worthy, and I aint talking about Moosie.

As predicted, dark and depressing. Still it was like a Disney movie compared to the book. They follow the book very closely, but leave out some of the most gruesome scenes.
Superb acting by Mortenson and the boy (whatever his name is). Excellent sets and musical score.
Most movies are a fantasy land, but this one really brings home the ugly reality of what “could” happen to mankind in the event of a major nuclear war or other “earth changing" event.

Finally got around to renting. Not as graphic as the novel but certainly more depressing...or maybe nightmarish is a better word. The kid pegged his character...hell, he even looked like the flasback mom Theron.

The voiceovers during the closing credits were an eerie subtlety.

I'm buying more ammo.;)

Last edited:
Had read the book, as I have all McCarthy's, and agree it was very dark and disturbing.

Just watched the movie the other night on DVD and thought it was good. It was very close to the book I thought, though did find the 'Theron flashbacks' too much and too many (good call smalls).

Interesting thing about Cormac McCarthy, my father grew up with him during the depression in rural Tennessee (his real name is Charlie); as 'Cormac' is a pen-name.

We didn't discover this connection until 'All the Pretty Horses' became popular about ten years ago, and an Uncle realised who he was based on something he read; and then they checked with elders in Tenn. to verify it was in fact Charlie.

At 78 my father still has all kinds of neat recollections of Charlie (Cormac) as a young boy/man and if you're ever interested in more of his work read 'Suttree'; as its about as autobiographical an account (based on my father's perspective) of what Charlie was like in real life, 'a vagabond living down beneath the local bridge with the blacks in those days'.

Its not an easy read or pleasant one either, often using words I'm not sure are even words (by Dictionary), but does tell a mean story during a mean time -the great depression.
Plus it gives you a view into the mind of the man who writes these strange novels; as aside from this books' account; he's a recluse and doesn't give interviews, nor is much known of him publicly otherwise.

Moe

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back