The Optics Game

CiK

I am planning a 2016 elk hunt. Destination unknown. As a flatlander, tree stand kind of guy, the only optic I own is a rangefinder.

My next purchase is a quality spotting scope or binoculars. In your opinion, which is more important to the success of a hunt? If you could explain why I would appreciate it. Thanks!

This is the most common question revolving around optics asked The binoculars will benefit you the most for a variety of reasons. Do a thread search on the subject if you want all the opinions.

If I had to choose I would have the best binocular I could afford. I glass more with my binoculars than my spotting scope but that may be the areas I hunt.
Go to a store and look thru some binoculars and then choose based on how they 'fit' you and the amount you can spend.

Tons of threads on here comparing binos. I would take the money from a spotter and spend it on a top end rangefinder and pretty dang good binos. You will use both a lot more than a spotter. Get a pair of binos that are at the top of your price range and then spend another $100, you won't be sorry. Check into leica, swaro, or zeiss rangefinders they are worth it. I like the zeiss because they are about as good but a tick cheaper especially if you can get a descent used pair on ebay.

Others' experience may differ, but I bet I use my binoculars 100x more often than my spotting scope. I mean, I've worn out several pairs of binocs, but still have my Nikon spotter that has lasted me a couple decades. That said, I tend to hunt in pretty timbered country.

I use my bino's 100x more as well, but when it comes time to use the spotter, it means I've got an animal in view and want to verify that it is worth pursuing. And for that I do not want a low end or even mid range spotter.

Buy a pair of Swaro El's and forget the spotter until you've got the funds for a Swaro spotter.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ I was going to say it, but he beat me to it :D AND consider dumping your rangefinder, and get the Swaro EL Range with the $$$ you save not buying a spotter.

I would agree. If you can only invest in one spend the money on binos first. You will use them more than a spotter. Remember you usually get what you pay for. Try a bunch out and buy the best your budget affords you

I am planning a 2016 elk hunt. Destination unknown. As a flatlander, tree stand kind of guy, the only optic I own is a rangefinder.

My next purchase is a quality spotting scope or binoculars. In your opinion, which is more important to the success of a hunt? If you could explain why I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Nothing comes close to having a good pair of Binos. A spotting scope you can do without but is nice to have at times. I don't know how treestand guys can even hunt without binos. Send me a PM and I can maybe make some suggestions.
Pat

Put your money into a good pair of binoculars.I seldom find use for a spotting scope on and elk hunt,at least the ones I have been on.
I find an 8X42 is the best allarround power binoculars.Buy the best you can afford.

for an elk hunt the best you can afford binos and a mid range spotter will be fine. I have used my 10x50 SLC's and a leupold 15x45 spotter on all my hunts.my brother has a swaro spotter and it would be a nice addition. I did have a pair of 15x56's for my sheep hunt but sold them to fund another project. I do wish I had not done that. those 15x56's on a tripod were nice to have.

I would suggest 10x50's, a little more weight but worth it

I live and hunt in Montana and don't even own a spotting scope. I use a good quality 10x42 binocular.

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like a slam dunk response. I appreciate the help.

Binos,the best you can get. The ones that work for your eyes when used outside a store,or building.
Can't imagine NOT having any for the last 55 yrs or so.............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back