MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

The modest Model Seven *FINISHED*

p_ham

This rifle started life as a 20" lightweight 7mm-08. It will be a 22-250 when it's done.

20221230_094332.jpg

First step as always is disassembly.

20221230_103106.jpg

Trued up the receiver face, lugs, and barrel threads. The threads were opened up .01" to clean them up and get them concentric with the bolt bore.

20230108_223649.jpg

Trued the bolt lugs and face

20230107_204111.jpg

Chuck up the barrel and indicate the bore true. Cut the tenon and chamber.

20230113_211416.jpg
20230115_140405.jpg
20230115_171629.jpg
VideoCapture_20230115-185809.jpg

Client decided he didn't want the light varmint contour. I recut the barrel down to a medium Palma.

VideoCapture_20230116-223900.jpg
20230116_215255.jpg

Cut the muzzle threads.

20230117_203243.jpg

What’s he going with for a stock option? I have a couple that need upgrades, just not as many options for the 7’s.
Keeping the same stock, just opening the barrel channel. This is a B&C. HS Precision and Stockys both offer stocks as well.

Very interesting! I have an M7 that started as a wood stock youth model in 260 Rem. The only thing left is the action and trigger.
I felt the balance was terrible in factory form. I had it rebarreled with a 22" Hawk Hill that finished at about .750 at the muzzle, and it made it a much easier rifle to shoot.
Also, Badger makes a bottom metal for them that takes AICS mags. Mine feeds much better after switching that in.

Keeping the same stock, just opening the barrel channel. This is a B&C. HS Precision and Stockys both offer stocks as well.
I have an HS on order for one. I emailed stockys a couple weeks ago and they mentioned that this summer they should have their more traditional style stock available in CF (right now just the straight gripped target version). That may be worth checking out!

I vote for a YouTube channel documenting these. When it hits the million view mark we can all celebrate by using the ad money generated to buy is all stone sheep hunts… or maybe just pigs…
I tried to give him the perfect opening to promote himself, but he didn’t… so…

Go check out CCM.Gunsmith on Instagram if you like @p_ham buikd threads. It’s worth it.

I have an HS on order for one. I emailed stockys a couple weeks ago and they mentioned that this summer they should have their more traditional style stock available in CF (right now just the straight gripped target version). That may be worth checking out!
They're always working on new products. I've been happy with their carbon fiber stuff.

Very interesting! I have an M7 that started as a wood stock youth model in 260 Rem. The only thing left is the action and trigger.
I felt the balance was terrible in factory form. I had it rebarreled with a 22" Hawk Hill that finished at about .750 at the muzzle, and it made it a much easier rifle to shoot.
Also, Badger makes a bottom metal for them that takes AICS mags. Mine feeds much better after switching that in.

Ya the owner of this rifle said the muzzle flip was just horrible.

I think @p_ham deserves his own subsection in rifles.

P_ham's corner

I vote for a YouTube channel documenting these. When it hits the million view mark we can all celebrate by using the ad money generated to buy is all stone sheep hunts… or maybe just pigs…

I wish! Youtube is notoriously bad to work with for firearms content. Here's the pitch: Only Fans, machinists apron and work boots.

Paul,

You sure you didn't miss a zero in your description of doing the receiver threads?
You said 0.01" .
That's a HUGE jump for threads!
Thinking you may have meant 0.001"?.

Sorry to question you about it, spent all morning threading myself.
Although ports for hydraulic cylinders.
Had to make 2 adjustments of 0.0005" today.

Ooohhhhh......
Inboard spiders....
Drool !!!!!!

Paul,

You sure you didn't miss a zero in your description of doing the receiver threads?
You said 0.01" .
That's a HUGE jump for threads!
Thinking you may have meant 0.001"?.

Sorry to question you about it, spent all morning threading myself.
Although ports for hydraulic cylinders.
Had to make 2 adjustments of 0.0005" today.

Ooohhhhh......
Inboard spiders....
Drool !!!!!!
Not a typo, threads were opened up to 1.072-16 as opposed to the standard Remington 1.062-16.

I LOVE the inboard spider, I can thread down to a 19" barrel without taking it off of the reciever. Having pads that pivot is a huge plus too.

While you have it down, go ahead and ream out/rethread that tiny pistol rear action screw with a regular size. Makes a solid rifle for sure!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back