Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

The Elk Hunters Wife

Wranglerman

I'm leaving Sunday night for my annual trip to Idaho. Reflecting on all my previous elk hunts I can't help but think "man you are a lucky guy."
Having a wife who understands what elk hunting does for my soul is truly a gift from God. This is a shout out to all the elk hunters wives along with mine for supporting our September addiction!

I am still surprised but at the same time blessed when she gets excited for me and holds down the fort while I am gone. Now that she and the girls live off game meat, she usually finishes the convo with, you better get something!

A little pointer or two I have learned, keep in touch, and always schedule in an oh shit day when you tell her what day your going to get back. Way better to get home a day early than a day late!

Normally I would be thankful too.
However my wife is a public school teacher .
Teaching and dealing with covid prevention puts a whole new spin on things.
Its only been a week. :(

I called my sister after her first day of teaching during COVID, unknowingly it was her first day and I was the first person she had talked to since finishing work. She was a wreck. I know teachers have a tough job with a lot of extra hoops to jump through, but man the hoops now are way worse. Hope things get better for you wife soon.

Reactions: Hem
Normally I would be thankful too.
However my wife is a public school teacher .
Teaching and dealing with covid prevention puts a whole new spin on things.
Its only been a week. :(
Same for me. It’ll definitely be a bit different this year.

Reactions: Hem
I called my sister after her first day of teaching during COVID, unknowingly it was her first day and I was the first person she had talked to since finishing work. She was a wreck. I know teachers have a tough job with a lot of extra hoops to jump through, but man the hoops now are way worse. Hope things get better for you wife soon.
Pretty much summed it up...lots of hoops.

Different boat for me. My wife didn't grow up around anyone who hunted. Add in the fact that we have two little kids and I find it challenging to convince my wife I should be away from home for a week chasing elk. It also doesn't help that we have come home empty-handed every year, think bringing home some meat would change things. Love my wife, but still trying to show her what hunting means to me and what it will mean to my two little boys when they grow up. Honestly, this is probably the biggest challenge I face every year, being in the field is the easy part.

Different boat for me. My wife didn't grow up around anyone who hunted. Add in the fact that we have two little kids and I find it challenging to convince my wife I should be away from home for a week chasing elk. It also doesn't help that we have come home empty-handed every year, think bringing home some meat would change things. Love my wife, but still trying to show her what hunting means to me and what it will mean to my two little boys when they grow up. Honestly, this is probably the biggest challenge I face every year, being in the field is the easy part.
Take her with and show her. When I first got together with my wife she wasn’t a hunter. Now she gets pretty excited for the season.

Prime example of why you have to set a low bar while dating. Good luck with the conversion.

I think my situation is nearly ideal. My wife has zero interest in participating in hunting, but absolutely values having the game meat and having enough of it to use it all year. So it leaves only me to go acquire that meat.

I married a girl who grew up hunting , and had killed a mule deer as a young girl. I thought I would have a hunting and camping partner. DID NOT turn out that way...

She became unappreciative of the full freezer of Elk antelope and deer, and found fault with however I prepared it.
She knocked my Nevada Antelope euro off the wall, breaking the nose and blamed me for putting it in the wrong place
The last time I left for my Wyoming trip, her farewell was "your life insurance is paid up right?"

By the next hunting season she was my "soon to be ex wife" . Incidentally I drew a OIL Elk tag for that Fall. Maybe it was Karma...

I think a married or LTR couple need to understand and support each other's passions. Even if they don't take part in it.

I didn't hunt when I met Hunting Husband. 20-something years later, I think I'm more nuts about hunting than he is (I think he would agree). So I guess it's only fair to shout out to those elk hunter’s husbands who get possibly more excited about their wife’s tags than their own and are first in line to celebrate, congratulate, and help pack out quarters.

Never would have guessed all those years ago that someday I'd draw a sweet tag and he'd be helping me pack out an elk.

My wife knew nothing of hunting or guns when we met. She is very supportive of my hobbies though and would go out with me the first couple years we were together. With little kids it has made it harder for her to participate but she loves wild game and we have been lucky enough to eat it most of the time.

Due to COVID she is working remotely and is willing to drive 1700 miles one way so I can go home to Montana two different times this fall. She will be working while I hunt but it is nice to be able to see her and the kids in the evening and not have to leave them for weeks at a time. A supportive wife is amazing.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back