PEAX Equipment

That 6.5 X 55 Moment

Mustangs Rule

That 6.5x55 Moment.

Every one of my rifles has some definitive moments that I can never forget. Here are a few with my 6. 5x55 Swedish Mauser.

It has always carried a simple 4X fixed Weaver scope made in El Paso, Texas. The rifle so chambered is a New Haven made CRF Winchester Model 70 Featherweight with a wood stock.

It is saddle scabbard friendly. It’s very slim fore end does not create that uncomfortable bump right where my knee is. It merits the reputation for both gentleness of recoil and accuracy. My best three shot group ever was with this rifle. One tight cloverleaf hole at 100 yards.

It was an evening hunt, getting close to dark actually, maybe 5 minutes left of legal light. I was on a long ridge looking into a deep canyon and saw a mule deer buck about to disappear into a tight bottle neck of tall sagebrush.

I ran on the shy side of the ridge as fast as I could and still be rattlesnake aware. Just when an opening appeared that seemed right I flopped down into prone and was set up near instantly. The nice thing about shooting the Swede, especially prone with a scope with generous eye relief, is not having to worry about the kick hitting me between the eyes. I already have enough scar built up there. There was no need for any such consideration, and I did not have time for it, just shoot and do it fast. At a hundred plus yards away, I took the angling away shot right behind last rib and got a little blinded my the orange muzzle blast.

I looked into canyon and saw nothing. By the time I got down there only the last bit of light remained. This was a situation where I could just lose a buck in all the high sagebrush.

I pulled out a small squeeze bottle of ashes. The evening thermals were falling. Instead on trying to see him, I got on my hands and knees with my face close to the ground and began crawling across the bottle neck bottom. After a half a minute, I smelled him, then got up, walked in a handful of steps and found him.

MR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back