Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Thanks

Just wanted to thank you guys for turning me on to sous vide. I got a joule for Christmas and tried it out on a chuck roast I had laying in the freezer for it's trial run. Turned out fantastic...medium rare chuck roast that you could chew! I know it's not real because I don't have pictures😀. Just wanted to say thanks.
And chicken done at 150 degrees vs the traditional 165+ is a revelation. As is being able to stage a dinner where your high end cuts of meat are just idling at medium rare, with no worry of over cooking.

I'm looking forward to trying lots of things with it. Beef is going to be a gamechanger I think, we buy a half of beef a year (large family) and you can only use so much ground beef, the tough cuts are going to be more usable without slowcookers in water.

We have started using a Sous vide this year as well. I've never been a picky eater so I liked roasts in the crockpot just fine, but I think it is for sure more tender in the sous vide. For my wife it has been a game changer. We have a roast going right now that we put in yesterday morning at 130 and we are going to have it for dinner tonight.

One other thing that has been an unintended side benefit is that you end up with a nice bit of au jus to use with it when you take it out of the bag.

I'm still working on perfecting my searing. I have a sear station on my grill and it seems to do the best. I seared it in a cast iron skillet with olive juice and I overdid it a little last time.

We have started using a Sous vide this year as well. I've never been a picky eater so I liked roasts in the crockpot just fine, but I think it is for sure more tender in the sous vide. For my wife it has been a game changer. We have a roast going right now that we put in yesterday morning at 130 and we are going to have it for dinner tonight.

One other thing that has been an unintended side benefit is that you end up with a nice bit of au jus to use with it when you take it out of the bag.

I'm still working on perfecting my searing. I have a sear station on my grill and it seems to do the best. I seared it in a cast iron skillet with olive juice and I overdid it a little last time.
I set the sous vide temp lower than the desired temp. Then sear on the grill at 450°F for 30 seconds on each side. Turns out great. To me, searing can be the trickiest part.

Tried pork chops last night...1.5" thick, apricot jam, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Hour and a half at 139, quick sear, then melted/browned 1/2 stick of butter with the bag juice for a sauce. Delicious.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back