Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tag dilemma

williaada

would like some input on applying this year in WY.

My group is sitting right on the edge for a general elk tag, and can get a known unit for mule deer and antelope.

We will have a total of 5 days to hunt. We would either do elk or hunt the other two species. How have other people handled this?

My group is sitting right on the edge for a general elk tag, and can get a known unit for mule deer and antelope.

We will have a total of 5 days to hunt. We would either do elk or hunt the other two species. How have other people handled this?
Just have to decide what’s most important to the group. You can’t do it all in 5 days.

Buy an elk point. Hunt deer and antelope this year, or…

Throw the dice on elk, and if you don’t draw, use the refunded $ for the deer and antelope. That’s why I’m doing anyhow. That means maybe a wasted point on the June draws the following year but so what

well if you’re traveling out of state with a group, 5 days isn’t enough for a elk hunt unless you’re going guided, so id do muley and antelope.
Depends on how many tag holders and packers you have. If only 2 tag holders then 5 days is plenty, though obviously more time would be great.

From my experience n= 1 in Wyoming, 5 days isn’t enough for elk. That general tag is a good one but they aren’t everywhere and it’ll take a while to locate them.
Not sure how big your group is, but five days to fill say 3 antelope tags is great, arguably too much. Deer…can’t help you but would depend on how picky the group is / where you can draw
If it was me, I’d pull antelope, and then maybe have 1-2 of the group grab a cow elk tag…start the research for next year or two when you all go after el wapiti

I remember last 2 years all the people crying about we should of drawn... i would lean towards lope or deer (not both)if only 5 days but you better have a plan B,C,D and maybe E if your even close on point draws, a lot of chatter about cashing in points due to possible fee increases from HUGE demand increases.

If you are "right on the edge" of last year's count, you won't make it this year. Point creep goes up more dependably that the stock market and sunrise.

If I had 5 days. Hunt antelope spend any remaining time scouting for deer or elk for the following year(s). Also are we talking 5 days with travel or actual hunting? Either way my suggestion stands just curious.

If I had 5 days. Hunt antelope spend any remaining time scouting for deer or elk for the following year(s). Also are we talking 5 days with travel or actual hunting? Either way my suggestion stands just curious.
We actually hunted 7 days and had 3 days of driving this year

I would do antelope or deer but not both over the next two seasons then put in for guaranteed elk tag year 3. Any spare time you earn on the first two trips, do some scouting for the next year’s species. Your success rate will soar.

I think that it would all depend on the area you are going and your degree of familiarity with the unit. I would go with antelope or deer. Also how picky are you and your group when it comes to size of antelope.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back