Swarovski ATS spotter vs Vortex Razor spotter

BlakeA

I've narrowed down my next spotter to either the angled Swarovski ATS HD 20-60x65 or an angled 16-48x65 Vortex Razor HD. I am NOT a one brand kind of guy as I own different products from lots of different companies choosing to get the better quality rather than just buying it because of the name and owning other products of theirs.

The Swaro spotter weighs 48.3 ounces, is 14.6 inches long, and costs over 2k.

The Razor HD weighs 48.4 ounces, is 14.1 inches long, and costs a little over 1k.

This spotter will be used for backpack hunting in the mountains. I currently run 12x50 Razor HD's for my binos and absolutely love them. Anybody have any opinions/advice you would like to share? Thanks!

I will tell you that if you look through both, you will see a clear difference, especially if you take them outside the store towards dusk. I now own Razor HD 10x42s and the Swaro STS HD 20-60x65. If budget is a concern check out the Meoptas, they are similarly priced with the Vortex and looked better to me.

MNHunter do you mean a clear difference as in the Swaro was better? Budget is not a concern. I plan on paying for a spotter and not having to worry about buying another one for a VERY long time

MNHunter do you mean a clear difference as in the Swaro was better? Budget is not a concern. I plan on paying for a spotter and not having to worry about buying another one for a VERY long time

Yes the Swaro was definately better. When I was looking I had a young man at the local Cabela's try and sell me that I would be wasting my money on a Swaro and that I should buy a Vortex or Meopta, and in truth in a well lit store looking at a chart 150yds away, it was near impossible to see the difference. I then asked to bring those scopes outside the store about 30 minutes before dark (I was there at that time for a reason), and we compared again. The decision was then clear for both of us. I guess the lesson being don't try out optics under good light conditions if you want a good test.

I looked through alot of spotters in the process of upgrading, to the point where my wife got so frustrated listening to initially debate with myself about it (which then just turned to pining for the Swaro) that she went out and bought it for me. In my mind the Swaro, Leica, Zeiss scopes are all pretty comparable.

there is no way a Vortex can hang with a Swaro, budget is the only consideration between the 2

Ditto,the last time a salesweasel didn't let me go outside with the optics to view real world,I walked....without ever going back. Minus the binos,course.

You will never regret buying a swarovski, you may regret buying a Vortex. At least you will wonder about it. Lol

+1 on everything mentioned. I've used both a little bit. For the price, that Vortex is a great value.

If budget isn't an issue, buy once and be done. Get the ATS.

I own the 20-60x85 Razor spotter, I think it is quality glass; however, if I had the budget and could have afforded the Swarovski I would have bought it. The Vortex was in my budget, I like it but would love to have the Swarovski. Like everyone else is saying, if you can afford it go with Swarovski.

swaro for sure, but I hate the angled ones, go straight and all is covered. the angled one is not better in the mountains and sucks hung on your truck window. my two cents

The new swaro atx is a good bit better than the ats hd yet if price isn't a concern.

those are both very,very heavy for backpacking in with???im sure they are nice but weight is a major thing to consider? have you considered the Nikon ed-50 spotter? it weighs very light,,around a pound or so,,,and is less than $1000.Im very pleased with mine and wouldn't even consider packing a 48 oz spotter up a mountain unless particular hunt required a spotter beyond 30x.Also if you go big,a strait spotter usually weighs a little less.I have a angled spotter and don't really care for it as its a bit tricky to alighn the spotter with what your actually lookin at and awkward to fit in a pack. just my opinion.

I don't think that weight is an issue at all when backpacking in. It's a necessary piece of gear that does a lot of walking for you in the right areas. I use Vortex but definitely agree that Swaro is better in low light but the biggest thing was the edge-to-edge clarity of the Swaro was much much better. Being able to not have to move your eye around to see clearly in the whole field of view is well worth the extra grand if you have it.

Dan,

Thanks for the input and the advice on the Nikon I appreciate it. I'm sure it's a great scope but I will not buy another Nikon product because of 2 separate warranty/customer service issues I had with them on a range finder and a spotting scope within the past few years. I used to own everything Nikon but never again. Just my personal decision.

Thanks again for the opinions/advice guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back