Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Success with CDS dial out to 1000 Yards?

LostTexican

Without ever messing with the CDS I don't quite understand it. If it has a set distance on the turret how does it compensate for environmental variables such as pressure and way more importantly the angle you are shooting
Im sure someone will disagree but inside of normal hunting distances pressure and temp don't matter to a hill of beans, off a bench with sand bags and wind flags and normal heart rate sure... maybe a measurable distance.

Most people i know use a range finder with angle compensation, so say i shoot up or downhill and range a target, it gives me an angle compensated reading of 450, I dial 450 and send it.

You have to "true" your selected load and send all the info you provide them to get your custom turret.

Dakota79

Without ever messing with the CDS I don't quite understand it. If it has a set distance on the turret how does it compensate for environmental variables such as pressure and way more importantly the angle you are shooting?
It doesn't!

For me hunting the same place and generally the same conditions it works great and I'm not Sniping way out there.

freu1chr

To make everyone aware i have no means of trying to kill an animal past 500 yards i just want to practice at that distance to make the closer shot a piece of cake. i am from Minnesota and the farthest i have ever taken an animal is 100 yards. i want to practice longer ranges so i can confidently take a 400 yard shot with no problem.

Wind Gypsy

No, it wont be dead on at 1000. And lets say it did happen to be dead on at 1000 your first time out, chances are it wont be dead on the next time out because a lot of things impact where a bullet lands 1000 yards from a muzzle and most of them are not constant. Wouldn't be hard to get it on the nuts or real close for most of your 4-500 yards situations though, if it stays consistent and doesn't lose zero.

This is exhibit 9,384 of why I hate the CDS system. Leupold markets it as buying a shortcut so people can just buy competence and not understand what goes into impacts at distance. That and I feel that a range finder with built in ballistic calculator is a much better "shortcut" than a custom cds turret.

Edit to add: to address original question, I’d advocate using the MOA turret. Where do you have access to 1000 yards? Gopher?

Last edited:
Yeti

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danny Dinkey Adventures